Do you prefer to spend your free time with other people or alone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Topic: Do you prefer to spend your free time with other people or alone?

It depends on how close I am to other people. But personally, I prefer alone because I can really do something I like. But with my friends, it's another case. My friends usually ask me out for shopping but they spend most of the time looking for what they like and don't care about others. I like to browse in stationary shops but they are not interested in so they would ask me to leave quickly. I don't like that, and I don't see the point to hang out with them. So if I shop on my own, I can look deeper at what I like. Another point is that I feel tired easily. If I'm tired, I can take a rest anytime. But my friends are always full of energy and don't let me take much rest. That's a torture for me rather than enjoying time with my friends. To stay with my family members is much better because they always consider me.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps:

I like to spend time with friends and family, but I like to be by myself because then I can do whatever I want.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps:

When I am with my friends I have to consider what they want.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
My friends usually ask me out [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] to go shopping with them but they are not considerate [STRIKE]spend most of the time looking for what they like and don't care about others[/STRIKE] and would expect me to accompany them to spend most of the time with their shopping leaving little time for me to do mine. I like to browse in [STRIKE]stationary[/STRIKE] stationery shops,[STRIKE] but[/STRIKE]which they are not interested in so they would ask me to leave quickly. I don't like that, and I don't see the point [STRIKE]to hang[/STRIKE] in hanging out with them. So if I shop on my own, I can l[STRIKE]ook deeper at what I like[/STRIKE] spend as much time as I like.

My shot at editing the next part. Feel free to comment.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
They expect you to help them with their shopping but don't want to do the same for you. Is that right?

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
They expect you to help them with their shopping but don't want to do the same for you. Is that right?

Um, they just want to see the things they like.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think that's what I said.
:)

I don't think "they just want to see things they like" is the same as "they want you to help them with their shopping but don't want to do the same for you". I take "help someone with their shopping" to mean that you go with them, perhaps help them choose something, then maybe carry it to their car/to their house. It has nothing to do with whether you like the products or not.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
How about on your own?

JoWeez

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Yoruba
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps:

I like to spend time with friends and family, but I like to be by myself because then I can do whatever I want.

Is it fine to use "I like" the second time without "also" or something like this? In my native tongue it would actually be a mistake. Not a significant one but anyway. Curious if it's the same for English or not

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would prefer it with "also". Otherwise, it looks as if you're contradicting yourself. Without "also", you're saying "I like to spend time with friends and family. I like to be by myself". The listener would think "Well, which one is it?!"

Alternatively, you could split it into two sentences and start the second with "However, ...".

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Is it [STRIKE]fine[/STRIKE] okay to use "I like" the second time without "also" or something like this? In my native [STRIKE]tongue[/STRIKE] language, it would actually be a mistake. Not a significant one but [STRIKE]anyway[/STRIKE] it still is. I am curious if it's the same for (in) English [STRIKE]or not[/STRIKE].

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps:

Clearly, I did not find it necessary to use also.. However, you could say:

I like to spend time with friends and family. I also like to be by myself ....

Status
Not open for further replies.