The news of your sudden admission into Dhaka medical college hospital took me aback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dukul12345

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
Please correct any mistakes in this writing.

The news of your sudden admission into Dhaka medical college hospital took me aback. I have learned that you have been suffering from gastric pain for about a week. I should be beside you in the hospital. But you know my test examination is going on. It will be finished on the 17th instant. Immediately after the examination, I shall come to meet you. I am sending my younger brother, John to hand you some books. These may help you to remove your boredom. Don't get nervous. Be bold and think you're quite well. In fact it's not a serious disease at all. Moreover, medical science has made a tremendous development. You need only proper dieting and good care. Many people of our country have been suffering from this disease. I hope you will recover soon. I am coming within a week. I wish I shall find you fully well when I meet you.

Rollercoaster1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Please correct any mistakes in this writing. It's better to say 'Please read it/the paragraph and correct if you find/if there are any mistakes.'

The news of your sudden admission into Dhaka medical college hospital took me aback. I have learned that you have been suffering from gastric pain for about a week. I should be beside you in the hospital. But you know my test examination is going on. It will be finished on the 17th instant. Immediately after the examination, I shall come to meet you. I am sending my younger brother, John to hand you some books. These may help you to remove your boredom. Don't get nervous. Be bold and think you're quite well. In fact it's not a serious disease at all. Moreover, medical science has made a tremendous development. You need only proper dieting and good care. Many people of our country have been suffering from this disease. I hope you will recover soon. I am coming within a week. I wish I shall find you fully well when I meet you.

The underlined was the least I could do. Let's wait for someone to respond to your question.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Let's wait for someone to respond to your question.

Please take your own advice, Rollercoaster. Whilst it is admirable that you keep trying to respond to other learners' questions and posts, it would be more helpful to the OPs if you could wait until teachers and/or native speakers have responded before attempting to help them yourself.

It's better to say 'Please read [STRIKE]it/[/STRIKE] the paragraph below and correct [STRIKE]if you find/if there are[/STRIKE] any mistakes.'

As you can see, your suggested sentence was not an improvement on the original and it contained more errors than the original. In fact, the original was OK, except that "this piece of writing" would have been better.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
The news of your sudden admission into Dhaka Medical College hospital took me aback. I [STRIKE]have[/STRIKE] learned that you have been suffering from gastric pain for about a week. I should be beside you in the hospital. But you know my [STRIKE]test [/STRIKE]examination is going on. It will [STRIKE] be[/STRIKE] finish[STRIKE]ed [/STRIKE]on the 17th [STRIKE]instant[/STRIKE]. Immediately after the examination, I shall come to [STRIKE]meet[/STRIKE] see you. In the meantime, I am sending my younger brother, John, to hand you some books. [STRIKE]These[/STRIKE] This may help you [STRIKE]to remove[/STRIKE] overcome/alleviate your boredom. Don't get nervous. Be bold and think you're [STRIKE]quite[/STRIKE] well. In fact it's not a serious disease at all. Moreover, medical science [STRIKE]has made a tremendous development[/STRIKE] is very advanced. You need only to follow proper dieting and take good care. Many people of our country have been suffering from this disease. I hope you will recover soon. I am coming within a week. I wish [STRIKE]I shall [/STRIKE]to find you fully [STRIKE]well[/STRIKE] recovered when I [STRIKE]meet [/STRIKE] see you.

My shot.

Last edited:

Rollercoaster1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Please take your own advice, Rollercoaster. Whilst it is admirable that you keep trying to respond to other learners' questions and posts, it would be more helpful to the OPs if you could wait until teachers and/or native speakers have responded before attempting to help them yourself.

As you can see, your suggested sentence was not an improvement on the original and it contained more errors than the original. In fact, the original was OK, except that "this piece of writing" would have been better.

Why 'if you find/if there are' is incorrect?

Rollercoaster1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
I have been waiting for an answer to my question in post 5.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I have been waiting for an answer to my question in post 5.

1. Please correct any mistakes in this piece of writing. (as corrected by emsr2d2)

2. Please read it/the paragraph and correct it if you find/if there are any mistakes.'

Don't you think No.1 is better after emsr2d2's correction?

Rollercoaster1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
1. Please correct any mistakes in this piece of writing. (as corrected by emsr2d2)

2. Please read it/the paragraph and correct it if you find/if there are any mistakes.'

Don't you think No.1 is better after emsr2d2's correction?

I think we can leave out 'it' in the second example as my main focus was 'mistakes'. As in '....correct........mistakes'.

emsr2d2's correction is suitable, but I don't get it why he said that my suggested improvement contained more errors. '...if you find/if there are any mistakes', in my opinion, isn't wrong. It suggests that there may or may not be any possible mistakes.

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I have to amend my earlier post to: ..correct any mistakes if you find them.

You cannot have correct without a subject as it is a transitive verb.

Rollercoaster1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
I have to amend my earlier post to: ..correct any mistakes if you find them.

You cannot have correct without a subject as it is a transitive verb.

'Correct' without a subject or an object?

Status
Not open for further replies.