Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
To me she sounds very south of England but I can't be more specific. Some of our BrE speakers can probably narrow it down.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
For the first couple of minutes, I thought she was from the south-east of the UK somewhere, but the longer I listened, the more hints of somewhere further north cropped up. For example, she says "example" with a short "a" in the middle (like "lamp") not the long "a" we use in the south.
I would say she probably grew up somewhere from Birmingham to Manchester but has either lived further south for a long time, or has made a conscious choice to downplay her natural accent a bit for the video.

I'm always intrigued by how languages sounds to non-natives. Her voice is entirely unexceptional so to see it described as "exotic" in post #1 made me laugh a little. Don't get me wrong. It's happened to me too. I said to a Spanish friend that I loved the voice of a Spanish actor in a TV series we were both watching. He laughed and told me that, to a native Spanish speaker, the man sounded very uneducated, rough and scary.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
She's pretty bog standard English. There may be some regional elements bubbling away below the surface, but she could be a Midlander or a Northerner who went to private school, or similar. I'm from the Midlands and have the occasional touches of an accent, but mostly I sound like the rest of us who were trained this way.

PeterCW

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The dialect is "standard" (ie middle class south eastern) English but spoken with a faint Yorkshire accent.

Status
Not open for further replies.