• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Re: make the machine of a smaller size

I'm considering three possibilities about Mary Shelley's passage, repeated as below:

Nor could I consider the magnitude and complexity of my plan as any argument of its impracticability. It was with these feelings that I began the creation of a human being. As the minuteness of the parts formed a great hindrance to my speed, I resolved, contrary to my first intention, to make the being of a gigantic stature; that is to say, about eight feet in height, and proportionably large.

1. Mary Shelley made a mistake when she used "of a gigantic stature." She should have used "in a gigantic stature."

2. She did not make a mistake; "make" has a causative meaning, as in "make him happy," and "of a gigantic stature" is a just verbose way of saying "gigantic."

3. "Of a gigantic stature" also meant "in a gigantic stature" in her days.

Concering the third possibility, Sir Walter Scott once paraphrased Shelley's sentence, where he used "constructed" and "of a gigantic size" together.

As the minuteness of the parts formed a great difficulty, he constructed the figure which he proposed to animate of a gigantic size, . . .

https://books.google.com.tw/books?id...%20%22&f=false

2. Moderator
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by raymondaliasapollyon View Post
    1. Mary Shelley made a mistake when she used "of a gigantic stature." She should have used "in a gigantic stature."

2. She did not make a mistake; "make" has a causative meaning, as in "make him happy," and "of a gigantic stature" is a just verbose way of saying "gigantic."

3. "Of a gigantic stature" also meant "in a gigantic stature" in her days.
    "In" is not possible in the quoted sentence. Consider the literary circle Mary Shelley inhabited, and with whom she shared her work before publication. Do you think they wouldn't have pointed out a careless error?
    I am not a teacher.

3. Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Quote Originally Posted by GoesStation View Post
    "In" is not possible in the quoted sentence. Consider the literary circle Mary Shelley inhabited, and with whom she shared her work before publication. Do you think they wouldn't have pointed out a careless error?
    I wouldn't rationalize her sentence just because she was a respected writer or associated with other celebrities.
    As an aside, here is something very suspicious by her:

We, however, lay to until the morning, fearing to encounter in the dark those large loose masses which float about after the breaking up of the ice. I profited of this time to rest for a few hours.

Do you think the present-tense float is correct here?

In rather a too philosophical and connected a strain, perhaps, I have given an account of the conclusions I had come to concerning them in my early years.

Is it correct to use two indefinite articles here?

Anyway, let us return to the real issue. The first possibility is worth considering, because there are examples in current English like the following:

Budesonide must be compounded because capsules for human use are manufactured in a 3-mg size.

The third possibility is also a tenable one, because without it, how would you explain Sir Walter Scott's paraphrase?
    Apparently, his use of "of a gigantic size" corresponds to "in a gigantic size" in current Engish.
    Last edited by raymondaliasapollyon; 03-Jul-2020 at 12:25.

4. Moderator
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

We, however, lay to until the morning, fearing to encounter in the dark those large loose masses which float about after the breaking up of the ice. I profited of this time to rest for a few hours.

Do you think the present-tense float is correct here?
    Yes. The floating is a repeated occurrence that happens each time the ice breaks up.

The first possibility is worth considering, because there are examples in current English like the following:

Budesonide must be compounded because capsules for human use are manufactured in a 3-mg size.
    Pills are typically made in various dosages. "In" is the right preposition for the context.
    I am not a teacher.

5. Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Yes. The floating is a repeated occurrence that happens each time the ice breaks up.
    The past-tense "floated" would have been a better choice, as the narrator was describing a past event. The state of the ice at the time of narration matters not so much as the state of the ice before the morning.

Pills are typically made in various dosages. "In" is the right preposition for the context.
    Whether the pills come in various dosages is irrelevant to the preposition used. Consider another example:

The product itself, however. is usually produced in a particular size.

6. Moderator
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

The past-tense "floated" would have been a better choice, as the narrator was describing a past event. The state of the ice at the time of narration matters not so much as the state of the ice before the morning.
    Next time you write Frankenstein, you should definitely use the past simple. Shelley was describing a scene, evoking in the reader's mind the seasonal breakup of the ice. You use the present simple for such narratives.

Whether the pills come in various dosages is irrelevant to the preposition used.
    No it isn't. We use "in" when discussing the sizes in which an item is made. Unless Frankenstein manufactured monsters in a range of sizes, it's the wrong preposition for the context of your quotation.

You seem to be here for the purpose of arguing rather than learning. Thread closed.
    I am not a teacher.

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2