Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Hi,

I'm wondering whether the boldaced phrase in the following should be "make a machine of a smaller size," "make the machine in a smaller size," or "make the machine of a smaller size."

So I began the project of constructing my own helicopter. However, as parts for the regular size were out of stock, I decided to make the machine of a smaller size.

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Source and author?

Three of the last four words are unnecessary.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I modelled it on a sentence in Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. I'd like to see how the prepositions are used.

If a prepositional phrase has to be used, which one is correct?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Writing styles have changed a lot in two hundred years. Wordiness was considered elegant in Shelley's era. Now it's just ponderous. Here's a modern way to use extra, unnecessary words to express the idea: I decided to make the machine in a smaller form factor.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Writing styles have changed a lot in two hundred years. Wordiness was considered elegant in Shelley's era. Now it's just ponderous. Here's a modern way to use extra, unnecessary words to express the idea: I decided to make the machine in a smaller form factor.

I think "in" should be used, too. But Mary Shelley wrote the following:

Nor could I consider the magnitude and complexity of my plan as any argument of its impracticability. It was with these feelings that I began the creation of a human being. As the minuteness of the parts formed a great hindrance to my speed, I resolved, contrary to my first intention, to make the being of a gigantic stature; that is to say, about eight feet in height, and proportionably large.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Her sentence was fine when she wrote it two hundred years ago. It's not a good model for a 21st-century learner.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Could it be that the "make" in the original means "to cause to become"? That way, the "of a gigantic stature" (= gigantic) would be easily understandable.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Could it be that the "make" in the original means "to cause to become"? That way, the "of a gigantic stature" (= gigantic) would be easily understandable.

No. She meant "make it really big".

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I modelled it on a sentence in Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. I'd like to see how the prepositions are used.

If a prepositional phrase has to be used, which one is correct?
If you're trying to create a sentence in exactly that form, it would have to be one of these:

- I decided to make a machine of a smaller size.

- I decided to make the machine in a smaller size.

But as the others have already explained, neither would be as natural as something like "I decided to make a smaller one."

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I'm considering three possibilities about Mary Shelley's passage, repeated as below:

Nor could I consider the magnitude and complexity of my plan as any argument of its impracticability. It was with these feelings that I began the creation of a human being. As the minuteness of the parts formed a great hindrance to my speed, I resolved, contrary to my first intention, to make the being of a gigantic stature; that is to say, about eight feet in height, and proportionably large.

1. Mary Shelley made a mistake when she used "of a gigantic stature." She should have used "in a gigantic stature."

2. She did not make a mistake; "make" has a causative meaning, as in "make him happy," and "of a gigantic stature" is a just verbose way of saying "gigantic."

3. "Of a gigantic stature" also meant "in a gigantic stature" in her days.

Concering the third possibility, Sir Walter Scott once paraphrased Shelley's sentence, where he used "constructed" and "of a gigantic size" together.

As the minuteness of the parts formed a great difficulty, he constructed the figure which he proposed to animate of a gigantic size, . . .

https://books.google.com.tw/books?i...posed to animate of a gigantic size "&f=false

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1. Mary Shelley made a mistake when she used "of a gigantic stature." She should have used "in a gigantic stature.":cross:

2. She did not make a mistake; "make" has a causative meaning, as in "make him happy," and "of a gigantic stature" is a just verbose way of saying "gigantic.":tick:

3. "Of a gigantic stature" also meant "in a gigantic stature" in her days.:cross:
"In" is not possible in the quoted sentence. Consider the literary circle Mary Shelley inhabited, and with whom she shared her work before publication. Do you think they wouldn't have pointed out a careless error?

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
"In" is not possible in the quoted sentence. Consider the literary circle Mary Shelley inhabited, and with whom she shared her work before publication. Do you think they wouldn't have pointed out a careless error?

I wouldn't rationalize her sentence just because she was a respected writer or associated with other celebrities.
As an aside, here is something very suspicious by her:

We, however, lay to until the morning, fearing to encounter in the dark those large loose masses which float about after the breaking up of the ice. I profited of this time to rest for a few hours.

Do you think the present-tense float is correct here?

In rather a too philosophical and connected a strain, perhaps, I have given an account of the conclusions I had come to concerning them in my early years.

Is it correct to use two indefinite articles here?

Anyway, let us return to the real issue. The first possibility is worth considering, because there are examples in current English like the following:

Budesonide must be compounded because capsules for human use are manufactured in a 3-mg size.

The third possibility is also a tenable one, because without it, how would you explain Sir Walter Scott's paraphrase?
Apparently, his use of "of a gigantic size" corresponds to "in a gigantic size" in current Engish.

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We, however, lay to until the morning, fearing to encounter in the dark those large loose masses which float about after the breaking up of the ice. I profited of this time to rest for a few hours.

Do you think the present-tense float is correct here?
Yes. The floating is a repeated occurrence that happens each time the ice breaks up.

The first possibility is worth considering, because there are examples in current English like the following:

Budesonide must be compounded because capsules for human use are manufactured in a 3-mg size.
Pills are typically made in various dosages. "In" is the right preposition for the context.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Yes. The floating is a repeated occurrence that happens each time the ice breaks up.

The past-tense "floated" would have been a better choice, as the narrator was describing a past event. The state of the ice at the time of narration matters not so much as the state of the ice before the morning.

Pills are typically made in various dosages. "In" is the right preposition for the context.

Whether the pills come in various dosages is irrelevant to the preposition used. Consider another example:

The product itself, however. is usually produced in a particular size.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The past-tense "floated" would have been a better choice, as the narrator was describing a past event. The state of the ice at the time of narration matters not so much as the state of the ice before the morning.
Next time you write Frankenstein, you should definitely use the past simple. Shelley was describing a scene, evoking in the reader's mind the seasonal breakup of the ice. You use the present simple for such narratives.

Whether the pills come in various dosages is irrelevant to the preposition used.
No it isn't. We use "in" when discussing the sizes in which an item is made. Unless Frankenstein manufactured monsters in a range of sizes, it's the wrong preposition for the context of your quotation.

You seem to be here for the purpose of arguing rather than learning. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.