Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Hi.

Can you help me understand the difference between the use of the future continuous and simple in these two sentences? The first one is from a kids TV show called “The legend of Korra”. One of the characters, named Kuvira, is in a hotel talking to someone in the lobby. Another character comes in; he’s a powerful prince who’s trying to impress Kuvira because he likes her. He says:

“I’ll put in a good word for you with the hotel staff, maybe get you a little upgrade. I’ve been living here for years, they love me.”

And she responds: “I won’t be needing your help. I’ve reserved the presidential suite.”

Why did she use the future continuous and not the future simple? I’ve asked the same question to other people and they tell me that they have the same meaning. Then why choose one over the other?

The second sentence is an excerpt from a book called “Feelings: an anthropologist looks at human emotions” by David Scruton, where the author invites the reader to an imaginary journey.

"...The preparation you will need to make for this trip is very simple. You won’t need your passport. You won’t have to pack suitcases and endure long lines. The post office won’t need to hold your mail, you won’t have to put up with rude hotel clerks etc…"

Why did the author chose the future simple? Would the meaning be different with future continuous?

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My inference from your examples is that the future continuous suggests a reason would/should be forthcoming, wheras the simple future does not.

Sarahking

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
I'm sorry but I don't understand. Can you explain it to me in simpler words?

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In your examples use/meaning of the future continuous or simple future is similar, but with ".....won't be needing" I expect a reason to be given for not needing.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Here's another way of looking at it:

"I don't need" means right now:

- Me: "It's five o'clock. Work is done. Do you want a ride home?"
- You: "No thanks. I don't need one. I have my bike."​

"I won't be needing" means in the future:

- Me: "Should I bring a cake to your party tomorrow?"
- You: "No, thanks! Carl and Maria are bringing big cakes, so I won't be needing another one."​

NOTE: Sometimes we use one when the other is more grammatical. In casual conversation, it doesn't always matter.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Just to clarify Charlie's post, the use of the continuous isn't what places it in the future. It's the use of "won't", which is a contraction of "will not". The final line of dialogue in Charlie's example could just as easily have been "... so I won't need one". That still refers to the future.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
They both essentially mean the same thing.
The subtle difference is that the use of the continuous in that kind of sentence is softer, less direct, and potentially more polite.
This can be discerned more clearly in the interrogative form.

For example, a hotel receptionist talking to a guest:

Will you need a wake-up call tomorrow, madam?
Will you be needing a wake-up call tomorrow, madam?

The second is clearly more polite than the first.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re-opening thread.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'll give a different answer:

1) I won't need your help. I've reserved the presidential suite.
2) I won’t be needing your help. I’ve reserved the presidential suite.

We often use the continuous aspect to talk about things that we've organised and arrangements that we've made. Sentence 2 suggests that the speaker has already carefully thought things through, and wants to state a little more formally what his/her future plans are regarding needing help.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi.

Can you help me understand the difference between the use of the future continuous and simple in these two sentences? The first one is from a kids TV show called “The legend of Korra”. One of the characters, named Kuvira, is in a hotel talking to someone in the lobby. Another character comes in; he’s a powerful prince who’s trying to impress Kuvira because he likes her. He says:

“I’ll put in a good word for you with the hotel staff, maybe get you a little upgrade. I’ve been living here for years, they love me.”

And she responds: “I won’t be needing your help. I’ve reserved the presidential suite.”

Why did she use the future continuous and not the future simple? I’ve asked other people the same question, and they tell me that they have the same meaning. Then why choose one over the other?

The second sentence is an excerpt from a book called “Feelings: an anthropologist looks at human emotions” by David Scruton, where the author invites the reader on an imaginary journey.

"...The preparation you will need to make for this trip is very simple. You won’t need your passport. You won’t have to pack suitcases and endure long lines. The post office won’t need to hold your mail, you won’t have to put up with rude hotel clerks etc…"

Why did the author chose the future simple? Would the meaning be different with future continuous?

I think "I won't be needing your help" is perhaps more polite.

Status
Not open for further replies.