Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Do "We generated a rhesus macaque model" and "We created a rhesus macaque model" have the same meaning? It seems to me that "create a model" is a bit more graceful in linguistics than "generate a model". I am not sure.

Both work in this context, of course. But widening one's vocabulary is a good thing in expressing your own ideas.

====================
Primary exposure to SARS-CoV-2 protects against reinfection in rhesus macaques

Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), which is caused by infection with the severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), has become a global pandemic. It currently remains unclear whether convalescing patients have a risk of reinfection. We generated a rhesus macaque model of SARS-CoV-2 infection that was characterized by interstitial pneumonia and systemic viral dissemination mainly in the respiratory and gastrointestinal tracts. Rhesus macaques reinfected with the identical SARS-CoV-2 strain during the early recovery phase of the initial SARS-CoV-2 infection did not show detectable viral dissemination, clinical manifestations of viral disease, or histopathological changes.

Source: Science 02 Jul 2020
https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/07/01/science.abc5343?rss=1

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
No, a model is generated from something. In this case it is the rhesus macaque, a species of monkey which is infected with SARS-CoV-2 virus under a lab-controlled environment for the purpose of studying the characteristics of the infection. When you say you create a model, you create it out of nothing.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
You clearly have a point here.
But let's see what opinion native speakers' will express.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Ted knows more about this stuff than I do.
:)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I can't see the article, but from the abstract is sounds like a computer-generated model, in which case the word is fine.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I can't see the article, but from the abstract is sounds like a computer-generated model, in which case the word is fine.

The authors said "We generated a rhesus macaque model of SARS-CoV-2 infection". Following your thinking, "We" would be "computers". How to reconcile them?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
The authors said "We generated a rhesus macaque model of SARS-CoV-2 infection". Following your thinking, "We" would be "computers". How to reconcile them?
They don't need reconciling. If it means "We generated the model by computer" then it's fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.