• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

for which

1. A full list of countries for which quarantine will not apply to people arriving back in England has been published. (Coronavirus: England’s quarantine-free list of countries published by BBC)

Can I put for like this "A full list of countries which quarantine will not apply (for) to people......"?

2. And I saw another similar sentence. Why is this time "apply for" but not "apply to"?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bbc for.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	3563
    If I make any mistakes in English, please let me know!

VIP Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: for which

Quote Originally Posted by Maybo View Post
    1. A full list of countries for which quarantine will not apply to people arriving back in England has been published. (Coronavirus: England’s quarantine-free list of countries published by BBC)

Can I put for like this "A full list of countries which quarantine will not apply (for) to people......"?

The "for which" part tells which countries. If you reduce it to "A ful list of countries has been published," it will make that clearer.

2. And I saw another similar sentence. Why is this time "apply for" but not "apply to"?

What people will the quarantine not apply to? It will not apply to people arriving back.

The sentence is correct. Your changes wouldn't make sense.

But you're right to notice that it's a confusing sentence. It's not natural. Many native English speakers would have to take a moment to untangle it.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

3. Senior Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

Re: for which

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    The sentence is correct. Your changes wouldn't make sense.

But you're right to notice that it's a confusing sentence. It's not natural. Many native English speakers would have to take a moment to untangle it.
    1. Is the use of "for which" similar to "at which" and "to which"? I don't understand the structure.

2. But the sentence is "...will not apply for..." or I get it wrong?
    If I make any mistakes in English, please let me know!