[General] Sentence meaning — But in the end that presence amounted to no more than a cup ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasibhaskar

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
But in the end that presence amounted to no more than a cup spilled over a Paris dress after the anniversary ball given by the Governor of the Colony.

The above sentence is from a short story by Alejo Carpentier, can anyone give an explanation of what does it exactly mean? The 'presence' here is the presence of water, flood...

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I worry about whether I understand it correctly, but it seems to me that the writer is saying it's nothing more than something spilled on somebody's dress--no big deal.

sasibhaskar

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Then the May rains came and overflowed the lake. And the old Negress who unhappily was a maroon and kept pigeons under her bed wandered through the patio, muttering to herself: "Never trust rivers, my girl; never trust anything green and flowing!" Not a day passed without water making its presence felt. But in the end that presence amounted to no more than a cup spilled over a Paris dress after the anniversary ball given by the Governor of the Colony.

Here is the full paragraph containing the sentence.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Yes, it means what Tarheel said.