This is a situation that is often encountered when you write/are writing about books

Status
Not open for further replies.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
The ambiguity is deliberate as the person writing the sentence doesn't know if it will be read just before or just after publication of the biography.

This is a situation that is often encountered when writing professionally about books or recordings.
https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/...ut-this-week?p=1615366&viewfull=1#post1615366

(a) This is a situation that is often encountered when you are writing professionally about books or recordings.

(b) This is a situation that is often encountered when you write professionally about books or recordings.
--------
1. Which one has the same meaning as the blue part?

2. I can't tell the difference in meaning between (a) and (b). Could you tell me?

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
(a) gives a sense of immediacy, of something current.
(b) is a general statement.

I thought "writing for (purpose)" is more appropriate than "wrting about (concerning)" in the context.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/...ut-this-week?p=1615366&viewfull=1#post1615366

(a) This is a situation that is often encountered when you are writing professionally about books or recordings.

(b) This is a situation that is often encountered when you write professionally about books or recordings.
--------
1. Which one has the same meaning as the blue part?

2. I can't tell the difference in meaning between (a) and (b). Could you tell me?
For practical purposes, all three mean the same thing.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
For practical purposes, all three mean the same thing.

There are only two.

Can I have some feedback to my statement above, please?
I thought "writing for (purpose)" is more appropriate than "writing about (concerning)" in the context.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There are only two.

Can I have some feedback to my statement above, please?
I counted three:

- This is a situation that is often encountered when writing professionally about books or recordings.

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(a) gives a sense of immediacy, of something current.
(b) is a general statement.

In some contexts, yes, but I don't see that in these examples.

I thought "writing for (purpose)" is more appropriate than "wrting about (concerning)" in the context.

If you write an article that will be published in The Guardian, you're writing for The Guardian.

If you write an article concerning The Guardian that will not appear in it, you're writing about The Guardian.

(And notice the tense shift in those two sentences. You'll be pleased to see that they fit your distinction.)
That's why I said "For practical purposes." A good grammarian can tease out differences, but in this case, listeners would get the same meaning from all three.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.