Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
There is a Chinese guy on TikTok of Chinese version answering a question about spoken English:

Question: Why does my head appear to become empty every time I try to answer questions in spoken English?

The guy explains: Good question. It is not because spoken English is hard to learn, but because you don't know the right way to express in English. Remember, folks, you don't know how to organize the language. Because you don't know the logic by which a foreigner speaks. As a teacher, I will tell you in my cariculum a universal formula called P.D.C. Principle to organize the language. That is, you should at once summarize the vital Point when a foreigner asks you a question; and then, understand some Detail; finally, give the Conclusion.

Okay now. In this class, this formula can be used in all topics and any problems will be solved.

Source: The original source is in Chinese. I translated it into English.

=========================================

Your comment on this P.D.C. Principle will be appreciated.

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
you don't know the right way to express in English.
That "guy" doesn't sound like a native/proficient speaker of English, so I don't know what kind of qualification he has to call himself a teacher.

Your comment on this P.D.C. Principle will be appreciated.
I've never heard of it.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's a meaningless attempt to construct some jargon that sounds impressive. I'd leave this one off your playlist.

PeterCW

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It sounds like a rehash of instruction that I remember from courses on interviewing techique.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
He's describing what works for him. It won't necessarily help anyone else. We all think differently. (Except at Apple, where they think different.)

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
NOT A TEACHER

GoodTaste, maybe that gentleman is giving the advice that is somewhat similar to what language teachers tell us when watching a foreign-language movie: Do not listen for every little detail. Try to get the main point.

Foreign visitor (stops you on the street in Beijing): "Excuse me, I'm visiting from the United States, and I'm visiting your lovely country for a month. I'm having trouble understanding my guidebook. How do I get to the Forbidden City?"

You should not try to remember all the details that he gave you. Just concentrate on "get to the Forbidden City." So you could say something like: "Take the No. 4 bus." And being the kind person that you are, add: "I will show you where the bus stop is. Please follow me."

Status
Not open for further replies.