Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
I'm not sure why you're so shocked by this. It's a really handy way of giving one's date of birth, especially over the phone. It's simply the spoken version of "4/4/86" which is how it's commonly written.

In BrE, you'll hear both "The fourth of April" and just "Fourth of April". It depends on how casual or otherwise the speaker is being. Frequently, the only time we're required to give our date of birth is when answering questions over the phone, perhaps when using our birthdate as a security question/answer. In that case, I would use as few words as possible. For example, my phone banking company require my full name, postcode and date of birth in order to ascertain that I'm who I say I am. The conversation goes something like this:

Bank: Thank you for calling Moneysafe. Can I take your full name?
Me: Helen Christina Smith.
Bank: Thank you. Can I take your postcode?
Me: BM6 8HU
Bank: Thank you. And your date of birth?
Me: Four four eighty-six.
Bank: Thank you. You're speaking to Jennifer. How can I help you today?

As far as the longer version goes, note that AmE speakers might say "April fourth nineteen eighty-six", without using "the". BrE speakers wouldn't omit "the".

Thank you so much for your detailed explanation. But if I don't have it written as "4/4/86" but as ''4th April, 1986'' if I am reading an article can I still pronounce it as ''four four eighty-six''? That's what shocked me. Or perhaps I misunderstand and the pronunciation ''four four eighty-six' is used only when we have 4/4/86 and not with the longer version of ''4th April, 1986''? I am asking about BrE. Sorry, dates are confusing.:cry:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you so much for your detailed explanation. But if I don't have it written as "4/4/86" but as ''4th April, 1986'' if I am reading an article can I still pronounce it as ''four four eighty-six''?

No. If you are reading a date aloud and it's written as "4th April, 1986", say "[the] fourth of April nineteen eighty-six".

I was simply pointing out that when we are not reading aloud (when we are simply saying a date), we all have our own preferences. I would only use the "four four eighty-six" construction with dates of birth. If someone said "What date did you start this job?", I'd say "April the tenth, two thousand and sixteen" or "The tenth of April, two thousand and sixteen" not "ten four eighteen".

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
No. If you are reading a date aloud and it's written as "4th April, 1986", say "[the] fourth of April nineteen eighty-six".

I was simply pointing out that when we are not reading aloud (when we are simply saying a date), we all have our own preferences. I would only use the "four four eighty-six" construction with dates of birth. If someone said "What date did you start this job?", I'd say "April the tenth, two thousand and sixteen" or "The tenth of April, two thousand and sixteen" not "ten four eighteen".

I see now. That's why I was shocked. :) Thank you so much!!!

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Usually when you are asked for your birthdate (like at the pharmacy) the person is going to enter the number into the computer. If you say "April 4th" they have to translate and type in "4" for April. It's easier to just say " four four eighty-six."
I'm an analog survivor. I say, "March six, nineteen fifty-two."

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It always needs to be remembered that in AmE, 4/12/20 means April 12th, 2020, and in BrE, 4th December, 2020.

Never use this form unless you are certain you won't be misunderstood.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It always needs to be remembered that in AmE, 4/12/20 means April 12th, 2020, and in BrE, 4th December, 2020.

Never use this form unless you are certain you won't be misunderstood.

Exactly. I deal with people globally and when I do, I use a format with the month as an abbreviation (Jan, Feb, etc.) so there is no ambiguity.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia

But if I write it as 4/04/86 Should I pronounce it '0' as 'ou' or not? 'four' 'oh' 'four' 'eighty-six'?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
But if I write it as 4/04/86 Should I pronounce it '0' as 'oh' or not? 'four' 'oh' 'four' 'eighty-six'?

No one would write that. You wouldn't mix "4" and "04". You'd write either "04/04/1986" or "4/4/86". With the first, you would pronounce the zero - in BrE, it would be pronounced as "oh".

What is your full date of birth?
Oh four oh four nineteen eighty-six.

Status
Not open for further replies.