Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I made Spring rolls as my breakfast this morning. It's a kind of crepe-like food in China.

I fired mung bean sprouts I grew with junienned carrot, tender bamboo shoot. I don't like mung bean sprouts, carrot, and tender bamboo shoot that much. If they were put in a Spring Roll, I would eat whatever happily even if they were poisons. I aslo put a fired duck egg into Spring Rolls. I intended to make an omelette, but I didn't use a non-sticky pot so the egg sticked to the pot.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

I made spring rolls for breakfast this morning.

(I'd say more, but it's my bedtime.)

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I made spring rolls [STRIKE]as my[/STRIKE] for breakfast this morning. It's a kind of crepe[STRIKE]-like food [/STRIKE]in China.

I [STRIKE]fired[/STRIKE] fried mung bean sprouts I grew with julienned carrot and tender bamboo shoot. I don't like mung bean sprouts, carrot, and tender bamboo shoot that much. If they were put in a spring roll, I would [STRIKE]eat whatever[/STRIKE] finish it happily even if [STRIKE]they[/STRIKE] it were poison[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE] (?). I also put [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]fired[/STRIKE] fried duck egg into spring rolls. I [STRIKE]intended [/STRIKE] wanted to make an omelette, but I didn't use a non-stick[STRIKE]y [/STRIKE][STRIKE]pot[/STRIKE] pan so the egg [STRIKE]sticked[/STRIKE] stuck to the [STRIKE]pot[/STRIKE] pan

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I made spring rolls [STRIKE]as[/STRIKE] for (my) breakfast this morning. [STRIKE]It's[/STRIKE] They're a kind of crepe [STRIKE]-like food[/STRIKE] in China. [1]

I [STRIKE]fired[/STRIKE] fried mung bean sprouts I grew with [2] julienned [3] carrots, [4] and tender bamboo [3] shoots. I don't like mung bean sprouts, [3] carrots, and tender bamboo shoots that much, but I like spring rolls so much that if they were put in a spring roll, I would happily eat them. [STRIKE]whatever happily even if they were poisons.[/STRIKE] [5] I also put a [STRIKE]fired[/STRIKE] fried duck egg into the/my spring rolls. I had intended to make an [5] omelette, but I didn't use a non-stick pot/pan so the egg [STRIKE]sticked[/STRIKE] stuck to the surface. [STRIKE]pot.[/STRIKE]
1- Most people know what spring rolls are. They have become widespread all over the world.
2- Pay attention to the sounds of "r" and "l". They're very different in English. I know that in some Chinese dialects (e.g. in Hunan), the two are often mixed up (or allophonic?)
3- When talking about something in general (not a specific/particular one of that thing), use the plural (if it's countable).
4- Always use "and" at the end of a list of items, even when that list has only two items.
5- Were you making an omelette or spring rolls? They're different.

Last edited by a moderator:

tree123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
5- Were you making an omelette or spring rolls? They're different.

I was trying to make an omelette, and then julienned it. Last, I wanted to put it with julienned carrots, bean sprouts and tender bamboo shoots together into spring rolls.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I was trying to make an omelette, and then julienned it. Last, I wanted to put it with julienned carrots, bean sprouts and tender bamboo shoots together into spring rolls.

I think it is clearer to say that the omelette is one of the ingredients for the filling of the spring roll.

Spring roll and crepe are different. Spring roll is common enough as a Chinese food and does not require explanation. A crepe is a Western pancake eaten with fruit and jam.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm pretty sure I haven't had spring rolls. Are they microwaveable?

tree123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I'm pretty sure I haven't had spring rolls. Are they microwaveable?

Probably, no.

I use a cooktop like this to make spring roll covers. Pretty easy. Every 40s I can make a spring roll cover.

0006.jpg

But it is not how Chinese who do this for business make it. They take a web dough at hand, when the pan is hot, and they simply rub the dough on the surface of pan for the spring roll cover. The hand-made spring roll cover is very soft, see-through. Much better than my version that I do with a cooktop. It seemed pretty easy, but I had tried several times, and failed. I guess it needs to take a lot of practices for persons like me who are not good at cooking.

When I was a kid, the paste for it is yellow mustard paste. The taste is very close to that of wasabi which is green. They are different. Now mustard paste is not usual in the area where I live. I replace the mustard paste with red pepper paste.

I prefer yellow mustard paste and completely hand-made spring rolls.

PS--The attached picture is from the internet. It is not mine.

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
A cooktop is part of a kitchen stove. What you have shown in the picture is still a pan I think.

What are "every 40's" and "web dough"? Do you mean "wet dough", the liquid mixture you use to make spring roll skin? We call it "skin" or "wrapper", not "cover".

There are various versions of spring rolls in Asia. The Malaysian version is called popiah.

There are fried and unfried spring rolls. I can't imagine spring rolls being kept in a fridge and microwaved before eating. It is like doing the same to a burrito.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You can microwave spring rolls (especially if they're pre-cooked and you're just heating them up) but they go very soggy. They're much better eaten straight after being fried or, if pre-cooked, heated in the oven so they stay crispy.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Yes, fried spring roll is best reheated in an oven. But not the freshly wrapped type which does not keep.

Even within China, spring rolls vary from one part to another. The type in Malaysia originated from Fujian province (name in Fujian dialect) where the people migrated from, the same people who migrated to Taiwan, hence the similiarities.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

I tried several times and failed.