Student or Learner
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello,

I am writing an email to an embassy and have no idea as to how to word such an email. I would like you to take a look, give me suggestions, correct the email and make it good to go please. Thank you.

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am writing to request to obtain a Power of Attorney document from your Embassy and make it legally binding.
Such a document is determined to be necessary to the persons (my friends) who would like to send out an Invitation to me, a citizen of (this country), for a stay in (another country).

I would be most grateful if you could present me with the necessary steps to obtain such a document.

Sincerely,
(My name)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Welcome to the forum. :hi:

I might be wrong but I've never heard of embassies producing documents to do with Power of Attorney. They're usually drawn up by solicitors/lawyers and have nothing to do with international travel. Can you give us more context? Just tell us the situation without framing it as a letter.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Normally, it is the individual who grants the power of attorney, allowing someone to act on their behalf legally.

mistername

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Welcome to the forum. :hi:

I might be wrong but I've never heard of embassies producing documents to do with Power of Attorney. They're usually drawn up by solicitors/lawyers and have nothing to do with international travel. Can you give us more context? Just tell us the situation without framing it as a letter.

Hi and thank you for your welcome,

So my friend who is in a different country would like to send out an invitation to me for a stay in his country. He says that he needs a PoA from me in order to speak to his country's officials on my behalf for this purpose. He told me to turn to my country's embassy in the country that I live in.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Hi and thank you for your welcome,

So my friend who is in a different country would like to send out an invitation to me for a stay in his country. He says that he needs a PoA from me in order to speak to his country's officials on my behalf for this purpose. He told me to turn to my country's embassy in the country that I live in.

No, that is not what a power of attorney is for.

You need to apply for a visa to stay with your friend in his country. In normal cases, you apply direct to the country you want to visit, or the embassy if there is one in your country, or the nearest embassy.

Certain countries are not so open to visitors and would require you to have good reasons (as in visiting relatives, business, etc.) to visit their countries other than for pleasure. In which case, you ask your host to give you a letter to support your application for the visa. You still have to deal direct with the country you want to visit, not through an intermediary.

Are you sure your native language is English?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.