Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bengali; Bangla
      • Home Country:
      • Bangladesh
      • Current Location:
      • Bangladesh

    • Join Date: May 2019
    • Posts: 435
    #1

    Car space and seat in English?

    Room or Space-
    1) When there's a seat left do we say- 'hop in, we have room for one more person.'
    - Or if there's some space left in the trunk do we say- 'there's still a lot of room/space left' (which one's more natural between 'space' and 'room' here?)

    Fit-
    2) Do we use 'fit' like this- 'If we get a full size SUV all of can fit in a single car.'

    Fold up/down seat-
    3) I've heard people saying 'fold down the back seats.' But do we say 'fold up the seats?' Does 'fold up' even make sense?

  2. Moderator
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 30,965
    #2

    Re: Car space and seat in English?

    1) Yes (or just '... we've room for one more').
    - 'room' is slightly more natural for me.

    2) 'If we get a full size SUV all of us can fit into it.'

    3) 'Put the seats back up.'

  3. Moderator
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2015
    • Posts: 20,073
    #3

    Re: Car space and seat in English?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover_KE View Post
    1) Yes (or just '... we've room for one more').
    - 'room' is slightly more natural for me.
    "We have" or "we've got room for one more" are more natural in American English.
    I am not a teacher.

  4. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bengali; Bangla
      • Home Country:
      • Bangladesh
      • Current Location:
      • Bangladesh

    • Join Date: May 2019
    • Posts: 435
    #4

    Re: Car space and seat in English?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover_KE View Post
    1)

    2) 'If we get a full size SUV all of us can fit into it.'

    3) 'Put the seats back up.'
    2) Why not 'all of us can fit in it?' I know that into expresses movement, for example- 'he came into the room,' 'he's peeing into the pool again.' But what difference does 'into' make here?

    3) Is it natural to say 'unfold the seats?'

  5. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

    • Join Date: Apr 2014
    • Posts: 7,029
    #5

    Re: Car space and seat in English?

    Fit in (adapt, be right for size) and fit into (be accomodated within an enclosed space) mean different things.

    Car seats don't fold and unfold like a piece of paper.
    I am not a teacher or a native speaker.

  6. emsr2d2's Avatar
    Moderator
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 57,529
    #6

    Re: Car space and seat in English?

    Notwithstanding the differences noted by tedmc above, BrE users would be more than happy with "How many people can you fit in it?", "How many people can you fit in your car?" and similar constructions.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  7. Moderator
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2015
    • Posts: 20,073
    #7

    Re: Car space and seat in English?

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Notwithstanding the differences noted by tedmc above, BrE users would be more than happy with "How many people can you fit in it?", "How many people can you fit in your car?" and similar constructions.
    They work fine in American English too.
    I am not a teacher.

  8. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bengali; Bangla
      • Home Country:
      • Bangladesh
      • Current Location:
      • Bangladesh

    • Join Date: May 2019
    • Posts: 435
    #8

    Re: Car space and seat in English?

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Notwithstanding the differences noted by tedmc above, BrE users would be more than happy with "How many people can you fit in it?", "How many people can you fit in your car?" and similar constructions.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoesStation View Post
    They work fine in American English too.
    Does this mean that my original sentence is correct?
    "If we get a full size SUV all of us can fit in a single car."

  9. emsr2d2's Avatar
    Moderator
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 57,529
    #9

    Re: Car space and seat in English?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashraful Haque View Post
    Does this mean that my original sentence is correct?

    "If we get a full size SUV, all of us can fit in a single car."
    Without any further context, I see no reason for "in a single car" at the end. I'd end with "it". The reason I haven't changed it above is because "in a single car" is grammatically correct and would work in a relevant context. Here's an example:

    Helen: We need to think about car hire for our holiday in September.
    Sarah: Yes, we do. There are eight of us going so we'll need at least two cars. How about a couple of VW Polos?
    Helen: That's a good idea but last night I had another thought. If we got a full-size SUV, all of us could fit in a single car.
    Sarah: You're right! That's a much better idea, and an SUV will probably be cheaper than two Polos.
    Helen: Great. I'll do some research today.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  10. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bengali; Bangla
      • Home Country:
      • Bangladesh
      • Current Location:
      • Bangladesh

    • Join Date: May 2019
    • Posts: 435
    #10

    Re: Car space and seat in English?

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Without any further context, I see no reason for "in a single car" at the end. I'd end with "it". The reason I haven't changed it above is because "in a single car" is grammatically correct and would work in a relevant context. Here's an example:

    Helen: We need to think about car hire for our holiday in September.
    Sarah: Yes, we do. There are eight of us going so we'll need at least two cars. How about a couple of VW Polos?
    Helen: That's a good idea but last night I had another thought. If we got a full-size SUV, all of us could fit in a single car.
    Sarah: You're right! That's a much better idea, and an SUV will probably be cheaper than two Polos.
    Helen: Great. I'll do some research today.
    Yes my context was similar except I was thinking about a family deciding on a car to buy.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •