Interested in Language
Native Language
French
Home Country
Belgium
Current Location
Japan
Hi,

How possible is it to use nouns as adjectives in English?

For example, in the movie "Starship Troopers", there is this phrase: "it's an ugly planet, a bug planet".

If you can say "a bug planet", which means a planet full of bugs (right?), can you for example say something like "a storm future", that would mean "a future full of storms"?

Or, for someone pessimistic about the current pandemic for instance, would it be possible to say something like "a virus future is awaiting us", that would mean "a future with a lot of viruses"?

Thanks

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Linguists probably have guidelines for when a noun can be an adjective. All I can say is that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Personally, I like "virus future," but I don't like "storm future." Maybe it's because we have the adjective stormy but don't have the adjective virusy.

Let's see what others say.

PatrU

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
French
Home Country
Belgium
Current Location
Japan
Personally, I like "virus future," but I don't like "storm future." Maybe it's because we have the adjective stormy but don't have the adjective virusy.

Ah, you have "stormy" so you don't need to use "storm" as an adjective. That makes perfect sense to me indeed. Thank you.

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I was going to say that exact thing, Charlie. We have "stormy." We don't have "virusy."

PatrU

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
French
Home Country
Belgium
Current Location
Japan
And so, if you can say "a bug planet" (not in real life, ok, but) even though you have "buggy", is it because "buggy" also has other meanings than "full of bugs", like in "a buggy software" of for a stroller, and so this would be ambiguous?

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And so, if you can say "a bug planet" (not in real life, OK, but) even though you have "buggy", is it because "buggy" also has other meanings than "full of bugs", like in "[STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] buggy software" [STRIKE]of for a stroller[/STRIKE] so this would be ambiguous?

I think it depends on how useful it is.

Thank you for not putting "Thank you" in that post. I hope that becomes your habit.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And so, if you can say "a bug planet" (not in real life, ok, but) even though you have "buggy", is it because "buggy" also has other meanings than "full of bugs", like in "a buggy software" of for a stroller, and so this would be ambiguous?
That's why I didn't try to offer a general rule. I don't know that there is one. And if there is, it's too complicated for me to sort out.

We native English speakers learned the language one word at a time.

PatrU

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
French
Home Country
Belgium
Current Location
Japan
Thank you for not putting "Thank you" in that post. I hope that becomes your habit.
I have noticed the "Thank" button now, so I will ensure that your hope is fulfilled indeed.

PatrU

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
French
Home Country
Belgium
Current Location
Japan
We native English speakers learned the language one word at a time.
I think that whatever the language, a child's brain does much better than that, but yes, a native speaker had, by definition, more time and abilities to connect the dots than any adult trying to catch up...

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
When a noun modifies another noun, as in 'bus stop', 'gas bill', 'telephone company', etc, the first noun is being used attributively.

'Storm future' is not a good example to use for 'stormy future', as the adjective is needed there – like in 'stormy weather' – but you can't use 'stormy' in 'storm warning' and 'storm drains'.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
For example, in the movie "Starship Troopers", there is this phrase: "it's an ugly planet, a bug planet".

If you can say "a bug planet", which means a planet full of bugs (right?)

I think it's OK as long as they dominate the planet.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think it's OK as long as they dominate the planet.
​The phrase The ice planet of Hoth worked well in Star Wars.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan

Let's see what others say.

English has the adjective "viral."

Status
Not open for further replies.