Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.

The first paragraph is not edited. My friend wrote it and we tried to edit it together. The sentences convey the same idea but they are not a direct translation anymore. Sometimes what a native speaker says is correct and understandable but this is not how a native speaker would express his ideas. Could you please check my corrections?

I wake up and go to wash. I most often (most of the time) eat meal and go to college. I finish my studies at 3. I am getting ready and going home. In the evening at 6 I start doing cleaning and homework. On Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays I have trainings. 8:00 I start getting ready for training. 9:00 I am getting ready and going home. I go to the shower.

I wake up and go to the bathroom. Most of the time I have a meal and then go to college. I fihish my classes at 3 :00. I get ready and go home. In the evening at 6, I start cleaning and doing my homework. I have trainings on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. At 8:00 I start getting ready for my training (session). 9:00 I get ready and go home. I go to the shower.

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello.

The first paragraph is not edited. My friend wrote it and we tried to edit it together. The sentences convey the same idea but they are not a direct translation anymore. Sometimes what a native speaker says is correct and understandable but this is not how a native speaker would express his ideas. Could you please check my corrections?

I wake up and go to wash. I most often (most of the time) eat meal and go to college. I finish my studies at 3. I am getting ready and going home. In the evening at 6 I start doing cleaning and homework. On Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays I have trainings. 8:00 I start getting ready for training. 9:00 I am getting ready and going home. I go to the shower.

I wake up and [STRIKE]go to the bathroom[/STRIKE] bathe. Most of the time I have [STRIKE]a meal [/STRIKE] breakfast ( or eat) and then go to college. I [STRIKE]fihish my[/STRIKE] finish classes at 3 :00[STRIKE]. I get ready and[/STRIKE]
then go home. In the evening, at 6, I start cleaning and doing my homework. I have [STRIKE]trainings[/STRIKE] exercise workout sessions on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. At 8:00 I start [STRIKE]getting ready for[/STRIKE] my [STRIKE]training[/STRIKE] [STRIKE](session)[/STRIKE] sessions. At. 9:00 I [STRIKE]get ready[/STRIKE] finish and go home and[STRIKE]. I go to the[/STRIKE] take a shower.

Notes: 1. A "go to the bathroom" expression would mean to use the toilet in AmE.
2. Most of the "get/getting ready" statements are unnecessary unless there was some specific follow-on activity that would be understood or further mentioned.
3. I have assumed that the "training" is a form of exercise.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
It is like describing a timetable with the time of each activity, which I thought is rather uninteresting. The beginning is rather abrupt, so is the end, or is there one?

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
It is like describing a timetable with the time of each activity, which I thought is rather uninteresting. The beginning is rather abrupt, so is the end, or is there one?

Yes, the beginning is abrupt. I wrote the sentences I was no sure about. I used 'I go the bathroom' to say that the person washes his face, brushes his teeth, etc. Interesting if in British bEnglish 'to go to the bathroom' also only means to use the toilet. I know it's correct to say 'to have breakfast' but 'to have a meal' or 'eat a meal'?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
You could say:
I wake up and go to the bathroom to wash up.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
- Use "training".
- At 9:00
- Use "finish up" instead of the second "get ready".
- I agree with Ted that the last sentence doesn't fit. Say something like: "I take/enjoy a hot shower and then go to bed".

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You could say:
I wake up and go to the bathroom to wash up.
In British English, that would mean '... to wash the dirty dishes'.

It's more delicate to leave people wondering what you are doing in the privacy of your bathroom.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
In British English, that would mean '... to wash the dirty dishes'.

It's more delicate to leave people wondering what you are doing in the privacy of your bathroom.

Why would anyone go the bathroom to wash the dishes?
I understand that it's private, sorry but have to ask as I am learning English. Could you please tell me what the English equivalent of умываться is. Which stands for washing your face, brushing your teeth but not having a bath or a shower.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I don't think there is an equivalent word in English. Do your ablutions is formal. Do your morning rituals in the bathroom is possible. Or have a wash.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Right. Leave it at 'have a wash'.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Right. Leave it at 'have a wash'.

Thank you. But why is it wrong to say 'training sessions' and 'have a meal? Maybe native speakers never say 'eat your meal or breakfast, dinner', etc either?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Thank you. But why is it wrong to say 'training sessions' and 'have a meal? Maybe native speakers never say 'eat your meal or breakfast, dinner', etc either?

Session is tautologous.

Status
Not open for further replies.