Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Source : Korean SAT English 2021 by Korean Education Broadcasting System - 73p.7

According to the scholars of the Indian traditions (Vedas), the origin of religion was to be sought in the impressions that natural phenomena made upon man. The mythological figures were thought to be personifications of natural objects. The impressive manifestations of nature stimulated the personifying fantasy of man. The primary stage of religion was not due to the religious nature of man, or to the ‘need of the human heart’, as O. Müller expressed it in his book, but to man’s elementary capability of seeing personal figures in the impersonal phenomena of his surroundings. What finally led to the formation of religion was, thus, the elaboration of a nature mythology and the veneration of the respective figures. The beginning of religion was the worship of many natural objects, with a predominance of such phenomena as the sun, the sky, thunderstorms, lightning, rain, and fire.

• This question and answer is made by me to practice for expected essay questions in my student's finals.
Q: What is the origin of religion? Describe using 10~20 words.
A: It is from the impressions that natural phenomena made upon man and man's elementary capability of seeing personal figures in the impersonal phenomena of his surroundings.

If you find any improper words or content, please let me know.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Source : Korean SAT English 2021 by Korean Education Broadcasting System - 73p.7

According to the scholars of the Indian traditions (Vedas), the origin of religion was to be sought in the impressions that natural phenomena made upon man. The mythological figures were thought to be personifications of natural objects. The impressive manifestations of nature stimulated the personifying fantasy of man. The primary stage of religion was not due to the religious nature of man, or to the ‘need of the human heart’, as O. Müller expressed it in his book, but to man’s elementary capability of seeing personal figures in the impersonal phenomena of his surroundings. What finally led to the formation of religion was, thus, the elaboration of a nature mythology and the veneration of the respective figures. The beginning of religion was the worship of many natural objects, with a predominance of such phenomena as the sun, the sky, thunderstorms, lightning, rain, and fire.

• This question and answer is made by me to practice for expected essay questions in my student's finals.
Q: What is the origin of religion? Describe using from ten to twenty words.
A: It is from the impressions that natural phenomena made upon people and our elementary capability to see personal figures in the impersonal phenomena of our surroundings.

If you find any improper words or content, please let me know.
Use gender-neutral language to include all sexes.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Use gender-neutral language to include all sexes.

Can you say like this without number consistency?

It is the impressions that natural phenomena made upon
people

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Can you say like this without number consistency?

It is the impressions that natural phenomena made upon
people

Your second sentence is fine. What your question means I cannot figure out.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Your second sentence is fine. What your question means I cannot figure out.

I wanted to make the answer, unlike "from the impressions" in A1, "the impressions".
but in A2, it is singular, while "impressions" are plural, so the numbers don't seem to match. But is this type of sentence possible?

Q: What is the origin of religion? Describe using from ten to twenty words.
A1: It is from the impressions that natural phenomena made upon people and our elementary capability to see personal figures in the impersonal phenomena of our surroundings.
A2: It is the impressions that natural phenomena made upon people

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
A1 is too long at far more than twenty words, but otherwise okay.

A2 is fine, but without context I would start it with "The origin of religion" rather than the pronoun "it".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.