Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Source : Korean SAT English 2021 by Korean Education Broadcasting System - 74p.9

Consider the question often asked by scientists, including even those who are well disposed toward animals, as to whether the hen suffers from what she has never known. The Oxford researcher Marian Dawkins conducted experiments to determine what hens felt about their homes. Somewhat to her surprise, she found that hens who had been confined to battery cages, cages no larger than a sheet of newspaper, when given the choice between a small outside run with grass and the cages they had known all their lives, chose to stay in the cages. And fowl expert Valerie Porter points out that chickens taken from a battery cage “will be in a considerable state of what you might call cultural shock if they are deprived of the only type of environment they have ever known. In fact, they will curl up in a corner in a state of terrified agoraphobia and it will take a great deal of time and patient understanding to rehabilitate them to real life.”

• This question and answer is made by me to practice for expected essay questions in my student's finals.
Q : What does cultural shock mean in relation to hens? Describe using 10~20 words.
A : It means the shock that comes for the situation when they are deprived of the only type of environment they have ever known.

If you find any improper words or content, please let me know.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Source : Korean SAT English 2021 by Korean Education Broadcasting System - 74p.9

Consider the question often asked by scientists, including even those who are well disposed toward animals, as to whether the hen suffers from what she has never known. The Oxford researcher Marian Dawkins conducted experiments to determine what hens felt about their homes. Somewhat to her surprise, she found that hens who had been confined to battery cages, cages no larger than a sheet of newspaper, when given the choice between a small outside run with grass and the cages they had known all their lives, chose to stay in the cages. And fowl expert Valerie Porter points out that chickens taken from a battery cage “will be in a considerable state of what you might call cultural shock if they are deprived of the only type of environment they have ever known. In fact, they will curl up in a corner in a state of terrified agoraphobia and it will take a great deal of time and patient understanding to rehabilitate them to real life.”

• This question and answer is made by me to practice for expected essay questions in my student's finals.
Q : What does cultural shock mean in relation to hens? Describe it in from ten to twenty words.
A : It means the shock that comes from situations in which they are deprived of the only type of environment they have ever known.

If you find any improper words or content, please let me know.
There you go!

Status
Not open for further replies.