Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Hey, I am writing my statement of purpose and I have really limited word. So in one sentence, I should say I have just graduated from X department and I was the top student in the department. I write this but it sounds like weird. Can you help me?
"I have recently completed my undergraduate education in the Department of X at Y University as the top student."
Thanks in advance for your help.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
[STRIKE]Hey,[/STRIKE]
Hello Gissem, and welcome to the forum. :)
Note that while "Hey" may be okay among friends or people on familiar terms, it is not suitable here. Use "hello" if necessary, or even better, just ask your question without any introduction.

I am writing my statement of purpose, and I have really limited vocabulary. [STRIKE]word.[/STRIKE] So in one sentence, I should say I have just graduated from X department and I was the top student in the department. I write this, but it sounds [STRIKE]like[/STRIKE] weird. Can you help me?
"I have recently completed my undergraduate education in the Department of X at Y University, and I was [STRIKE]as[/STRIKE] the top student in my class/batch."
Thanks in advance for your help.
See above. Consider also specifying your degree. For example, "I recently graduated with a Bachelor of Arts from the Department of History at Oldham University".
Let us know if you need further help with your statement of purpose.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gissem

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Hello Gissem, and welcome to the forum. :)
Note that while "Hey" may be okay among friends or people on familiar terms, it is not suitable here. Use "hello" if necessary, or even better, just ask your question without any introduction.

See above. Consider also specifying your degree. For example, "I recently graduated with a Bachelor of Arts from the Department of History at Oldham University".
Let us know if you need further help with your statement of purpose.

Thank you for your advice and help :) I don't want to say "I was the top student" as a separate sentence. I want to combine these 2 info. Can you please help me in this way?
"I have recently completed my Bachelor of Science in Electronics Engineering at X University as the top student in the department." How is it? By the way, I don't understand the "specifying degree" issue.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: Can you please check and edit my sentence?

Try:

I recently completed my Bachelor of Science in electronics engineering at X University as the stop student in my class.

Look up specify. www.Dictionary.com

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I think it is okay for Electronics Engineering to be capitalized as it is part of the name of the degree.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
It would sound more natural to me as "electronic engineering", but if the actual name of that degree was "electronics engineering", then don't change it.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Gissem, I have changed your thread title. Titles should be unique, relevant to the thread and include some/all of the words/phrases you are asking us about. Titles such as "Please check my sentence" are useless.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Electronics is the noun. The adjective is electronic, so it should be electronic engineering.

Status
Not open for further replies.