[General] Two beings destined to marry each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi.

Are my two sentences idiomatic? Will native speakers use them?

1) Two beings destined to marry each other, though thousands of miles apart, are tied together with an invisible red thread by an old man under the moonlight.
2) Few could afford the luxury.

The first one was directly translated from Chinese, if it's not natural at all, please let me know. 2) is perfectly okay to me.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
2. is OK.
1. If the thread is invisible, how do you know it's red? Is this a cultural myth in China? Red is not the colour for marriage in Anglophone cultures; it would be white, if anything. Why an old man under the moonlight? The sentence is grammatical.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
2. is OK.
1. If the thread is invisible, how do you know it's red? Is this a cultural myth in China? Red is not the colour for marriage in Anglophone cultures; it would be white, if anything. Why an old man under the moonlight? The sentence is grammatical.

Thanks a lot, Raymott. Yes, it's a cultural myth in ancient China. The old man who uses a red thread working as a matchmaker is called Yue Lao in Chinese. It's like Jupiter in Western culture. It is said that Jupiter uses arrows to "matchmake" two people who loves each other. Yue Lao is the Chinese version of Jupiter, but he uses a red thread. He's a god of Taoism who in charge of people's marriage. I think maybe one end of his red thread is tied with a man and the other end a woman, then these two people become wife and hushand. :-D

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Red is not the colour for marriage in Anglophone cultures; it would be white, if anything.

Red is a very popular colour to the Chinese. It symbolizes luck, joy, happiness, festivity, vitality and fertility. It is the colour worn by Chinese brides, as it is believed to ward off evil. It is worn during Chinese New Year and used extensively in decorations as it is considered an auspicious colour believed to bring luck. The flag of China is in red.

White on the other hand is the colour of mourning and is used in funerals.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Most young brides at their first wedding want to get married in white.

Plenty of people get married in white more than once these days.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi.

Are my two sentences idiomatic? Will native speakers use them?

1) Two beings destined to marry each other, though thousands of miles apart, are tied together with an invisible red thread by an old man under the moonlight.

It sounds like a folk tale. Is it? Was the thread really invisible and red?

2) Few could afford the luxury.

That's fine. I certainly couldn't!

The first one was directly translated from Chinese, if it's not natural at all, please let me know.
Number 2 is perfectly okay to me.
Always start sentences with capitals. (I chose N.)

Status
Not open for further replies.