Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Regarding the necklace, it's nice and I appreciate that you found time to look it up.

Hi,

Is John's reply grammatically correct and idiomatic? Thank you!

Jane:
    I wish you guys all the best. You should get this necklace for your girlfriend. I know it's a bit expensive but I think it's worth it.
    John: Jane, thank you for your kind words. Regarding the necklace, it's nice and I appreciate that you found time to look it up...
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 29-Jul-2020 at 07:39. Reason: Put whole post in black

2. Moderator
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: Regarding the necklace, it's nice and I appreciate that you found time to look it

Please tell us the source and author of this dialogue.

If you wrote it yourself, in what context?

3. Junior Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Regarding the necklace, it's nice and I appreciate that you found time to look it

Quote Originally Posted by Rover_KE View Post
    Please tell us the source and author of this dialogue.

If you wrote it yourself, in what context?
    I wrote it myself.

The context is that John is going to celebrate two years of his relationship with his girlfriend. John is treating it as an anniversary. Jane is wishing John all the best and telling him to get a necklace for his girlfriend as an anniversary present. I hope it's clear now. Thanks.

4. Moderator
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

But is it a real-life situation or a fictional dialogue for a school assignment?

5. Junior Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • United States

But is it a real-life situation or a fictional dialogue for a school assignment?
    Fictional.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by jackson6612 View Post
    Fictional.
    When is the assignment due?
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

7. Junior Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    When is the assignment due?
    Do you really think that this is some school assignment?! I just made it up and wanted to know if it's correct. But it looks like I was asking for too much help. Anyway, thanks.

8. Moderator
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

It certainly looks like it might be a school assignment. We're not mind readers, and unless you tell us, we have no idea why you're writing a fictional dialogue.

We have always got to be on the lookout for students trying to sneak assignment questions past us via a number of pretexts. Any student visiting the forum for the first time and reading your thread would conclude – if we corrected it without demur – that they'd been lucky enough to find free answers to homework questions.com.

Some members create a signature line in which they briefly summarise their reason for asking questions like this so they don't have to mention it in every new thread and we aren't put to the trouble of asking them for it.

See also post #2 in this thread. If you'd done that in post #1 of this thread, you'd have had your answer in post #2.
    Last edited by Rover_KE; 31-Jul-2020 at 13:48.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

You were specifically asked if it was a real-life situation or a fictional dialogue for a school assignment. You answered with "Fictional" leading us to believe that it was the latter. We can only work with the information you give us. We need context in order to work out whether any suggested text is correct and appropriate.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.