Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Dear UE Teachers,

What verified sources did you use for completing the UE full irregular verbs list?
Could you write me back information about those links?
Thank you form your attention and understanding.

Yours faithfully,
Timothy.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I have moved this thread here from the User Support Area. I don't think we feel the need to consult "verified sources" when it comes to the irregular verbs of our native language, English. We know which verbs are irregular. Do you think we have omitted any?

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Do you think we have omitted any?
I'd be almost sure of it, unless it includes all forms going back to the start of modern English, or words that no one's used for hundreds of years, or forms which only occur in obscure dialects. (Maybe it does; I haven't seen the list).

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A past form of "glide", glid, appeared in a recent thread here. Most native speakers who commented on it had never seen it before and thought it was weird, but one British and one American member found it completely natural. I bet it's not in the list.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
There's also a very common word (marked vulgar in many dictionaries) that doesn't appear. The simple past of "--it" is "--at", not "--itted".
Also, where a regular version of the past tense is also used, it's sometimes not included along with the irregular past. I noticed the absence of slayed, weeped, and strived beside slew, wept and strove.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There's also a very common word (marked vulgar in many dictionaries) that doesn't appear. The simple past of "--it" is "--at", not "--itted".
The simple past and past participle are both "--it" in my region.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Also, where a regular version of the past tense is also used, it's sometimes not included along with the irregular past. I noticed the absence of slayed, weeped, and strived beside slew, wept and strove.
One of my favorites: An old-fashioned past tense of work that's still part of some expressions is wrought.

I'd just look at a few reference books. Some are better than others, but there's no such thing as a confirmed or verified reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.