Hot Harvard Girls Face Off! 64 of Them. No Mud Included.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Does "Hot Harvard Girls Face Off! 64 of Them. No Mud Included" mean "Hot Harvard Girls come into competition! 64 of Them. No Mud Included (does the mud here mean "someone who is very disliked"?)"?

========================

Hot Harvard Girls Face Off! 64 of Them. No Mud Included.
March Madness? That is so last month. A nationwide rally modeled after NCAA’s famous brackets has developed a new contest

Source: The Crimson
https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2005/5/5/hot-harvard-girls-face-off-64/

PeterCW

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The beauty contest is being compared a wrestling match. Google will find you more than you want to know about mud wrestling.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And note that the quoted page is fifteen years old. I very much doubt the editors of Harvard's student newspaper would consider publishing such a story today.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Does "NCAA’s famous brackets" in the OP refer to "NCAA’s famous classifications"?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sorry. Wikipedia has been blocked here.
It says:

March Madness pools are a form of sports betting based on the annual NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Tournament each spring in the United States. The increasing interest in this event is fostered by March Madness pools, or brackets. A bracket is a form that can be completed on-line or printed out and completed by hand whereby the participant predicts the outcome of each game in the tournament. His or her predictions are compared against others in the pool, and whoever has the best prognostication skills wins the contest.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I hadn't spotted that, and was extremely surprised to read that piece. It sounds positively antediluvian.
I suppose you're aware that Facebook started as a web page for rating the hotness of people Zuckerberg surely referred to as "Harvard girls".

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I suppose you're aware that Facebook started as a web page for rating the hotness of people Zuckerberg surely referred to as "Harvard girls".
Ow! I'll never be able to unread that.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
While it is now clear that the word "girl" should be used with great caution, it is different for Harvard, who leads the tide of times, after all.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
While it is now clear that the word "girl" should be used with great caution, it is different for Harvard, which leads the tide of times, after all.
Don't be so sure!

And remember that we're trying to show you more than just grammar and vocabulary. This is a lesson in English language culture, which is important if you want to communicate effectively. You need to be able to recognize (and, we hope, avoid) sexist language.

What might be fine in China might not be fine in the West. Here, we show respect for women by calling them women. (We also show men respect by calling them men, but in the US, boy is a racist term, not a sexist one. Isn't culture interesting?)

I know I would make lots of mistakes in manners if I traveled to China. We want to spare you some trouble here.

Status
Not open for further replies.