Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.

What is the correct pronunciation of 90/60mmHg and 120/80mmHg and of body temperature 36.6, 37.5 or 40 using the metric system?

For body temperature is it 'thirty-six pont six', 'thirty-seven point five', and 'forty'?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
ninety over sixty – one-twenty over eighty

thirty-six point six – thirty-seven point five – forty (Celsius–not metric)

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
ninety over sixty – one-twenty over eighty

thirty-six point six – thirty-seven point five – forty (Celsius–not metric)

Oh, 120 is pronounced as one-twenty so first number separately from 100 to 300. Right? 110/50 One -ten over fifty. 140/70 one-forty over seventy. 130 is the limit if I am not mistaken.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Body temperature should always be expressed with a decimal to indicate the precision with which it's measured. Say forty point oh or forty point zero. Normal oral temperature has historically been described as 98.6°F, but modern practice allows a lot of leeway. You might casually say "She had a hundred-degree fever", but a nurse would be more likely to call it "one hundred point oh".

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Oh, 120 is pronounced as one-twenty so first number separately from 100 to 300. Right? 110/50 One -ten over fifty. 140/70 one-forty over seventy. 130 is the limit if I am not mistaken.
No, there's no limit at 300.
If someone's BP was unfortunately 405/140, that's 4-oh-five over one-forty. (I've never seen such an upper level, but linguistically it would be correct).

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No, there's no limit at 300.
If someone's BP was unfortunately 405/140, that's 4-oh-five over one-forty. (I've never seen such an upper level, but linguistically it would be correct).
When I was on the volunteer rescue squad I once transported a dignified old gentleman who was "feeling bad". He locked his house with a skeleton key, walked into the ambulance, and lay down on the cot. I put the blood-pressure cuff on his arm, inserted the stethoscope eartips into my ears, pressed its bell to the vein in his arm, spun the valve closed, and started pumping. And pumping, and pumping. The pulse finally stopped at 290. If I remember right, his diastolic was over 150. It was amazing that he was alive.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

PeterCW

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Body temperature should always be expressed with a decimal to indicate the precision with which it's measured. Say forty point oh or forty point zero. Normal oral temperature has historically been described as 98.6°F, but modern practice allows a lot of leeway. You might casually say "She had a hundred-degree fever", but a nurse would be more likely to call it "one hundred point oh".

In my school days both my mathematics and my physics teachers were quite clear that "oh" was a letter not a number. It is common usage and I often say it myself but it should be avoided if in a formal scientific environment.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
That's how I and many other people say it. I should also have said that many others choose to say 'a hundred and twenty'.

San fairy ann.
And in BrE for 405/140 do you use the same pronunciation Raymott suggested or "four hundred and five over one hundred and forty" as well as "four oh five over one forty"?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Both are possible.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Both are possible.

If I mix them and say "four oh five over one/a hundred and forty" instead of "one forty" would it be correct?
If I use "hundred with the first number should I use it with the second too? And if I don't use "hundred with the first number canI use it with the second?
"Four hundred and five over one forty."

"Four oh five over one hundred and forty."

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Everybody would understand you, Rachel.

For the third time today, san fairy ann.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Everybody would understand you, Rachel.

For the third time today, san fairy ann.

Even when we non-natives are understood we don't always speak correctly. I was just making sure all the options I wrote were correct. :) As well as wondering if "one hundred" was correct in this context. I have definitely learnt a lot on UE.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Go with what is the easiest and clearest to understand. My doctor tells me I should go for one twenty over eighty for my blood pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.