Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Does "I can't really say" mean "I can't really have an opinion on that"? Or does it mean "I can't really believe it"?

===================
Me: Am I the most handsome man in this world?
Siri: I can't really say.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Without context, it generally means "I can't really comment (without adequate information)".

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It means, I don't know.

PeterCW

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Of course, depending on the context, it can carry any of the meanings mentioned above.

I would use it to mean "I don't know because there is insufficient information to allow me to form an opinion".

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
NOT A TEACHER

GoodTaste, I am replying only because "really" is my favorite word in the English language. In fact, some years ago at another language website, the owner courteously and gently asked me to STOP asking so many questions about the meaning of that word in particular sentences. She pointed out that sometimes "really" can have more than one meaning in a sentence, depending on the context. And sometimes the meaning depends on how much stress (emphasis) you put on the word in speech.

Tony: Am I the handsomest guy in the world?

Mona: I can't really/actually say. (As the other posters have told us, it seems to be "I simply do not know the answer.")

But notice that -- to me, at least -- it could have another meaning if Mona adds one word: "I can't really/actually say that." It could possibly mean something like: "I would be lying if I said that you are the handsomest guy in the world. But you ARE definitely one handsome dude! All of my female friends are crazy about you!"

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
NOT A TEACHER

GoodTaste, I am replying only because "really" is my favorite word in the English language. . . .
I like it because it's easy to spot in cryptograms.

Rollercoaster1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
NOT A TEACHER

GoodTaste, I am replying only because "really" is my favorite word in the English language. In fact, some years ago at another language website, the owner courteously and gently asked me to STOP asking so many questions about the meaning of that word in particular sentences. She pointed out that sometimes "really" can have more than one meaning in a sentence, depending on the context. And sometimes the meaning depends on how much stress (emphasis) you put on the word in speech.

Tony: Am I the handsomest guy in the world?

Mona: I can't really/actually say. (As the other posters have told us, it seems to be "I simply do not know the answer.")

But notice that -- to me, at least -- it could have another meaning if Mona adds one word: "I can't really/actually say that." It could possibly mean something like: "I would be lying if I said that you are the handsomest guy in the world. But you ARE definitely one handsome dude! All of my female friends are crazy about you!"

Is 'handsomest' really a superlative degree of 'handsome'?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Does "I can't really say" mean "I can't really have an opinion on that"?

No. It either means you don't know know or you don't want to comment.

Or does it mean "I can't really believe it"?

No. You're not saying whether you believe something. You're just can't comment.

===================
Me: Am I the most handsome man in the world?
Siri: I can't really say.
Siri's a liar.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
NOT A TEACHER

GoodTaste, I was watching an American TV discussion program a few minutes ago about a controversial event during World War II.

The host asked, "Do you know if [whether] President Truman ever saw that film [about the controversial event]?"

The guest replied, "I really don't."

IMHO, the guest's complete answer would be "I really don't know."
IMHO, the adverb "really" seems to simply emphasize the words "don't know."
IMHO, in the sentence "I ,really, don't know," the adverb means "I am telling you the truth." [Notice the commas in writing or the pauses in speaking.] You could also write or say it this way: "Really, I don't know" or "I don't know, really."

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It is interesting that the word "really" has a different meaning depending on where it appears in the sentence.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.