Kingswood is, at first glance, an enchanting suburban dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dutch Van der

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
United States
Have I made any mistakes?

Kingswood is, at first glance, an enchanting suburban dream. An exclusive location brimming with wide roads, golden maple trees, and verdant lawns. The majority of residents are white-collar professionals ranging from university researchers to government officials. Among these accomplished inhabitants, drug smuggler Pedro Picar, who adopted a fake identity as an illustrious professor, orchestrates and oversees all the cocaine distribution on the West Coast from his innocuous home. Be that as it may, several anonymous reports about armored vehicles circulating his property with cargo boxes have been submitted to the local newspaper. Although this has raised suspicion in the neighborhood, the police have opted to keep their distance from the area, as it has been deemed righteous by the municipal council.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would delete "brimming" from the second sentence and "ranging" from the third sentence.
:)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
For the fourth sentence, try:

One of the residents, ....

If was going to adopt a fake identity it wouldn't be an illustrious one.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What do you mean by ,"righteous" in the last sentence?

Circulating - going around

What is an "innocuous home"?

What are "cargo boxes"?

Dutch Van der

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
United States
Thanks for your comments, buddy.
Do you suggest deleting 'brimming' and 'ranging' because I misused them? Or because they're unnecessary?
In the fourth sentence, do you suggest swapping "Among these accomplished inhabitants" for "One of the residents"?

Off-topic questions.
'If was going to adopt a fake identity it wouldn't be an illustrious one.' What would it be?
Would it be grammatically correct if I word the first clause of your sentence as 'If I were to adpot'?

Dutch Van der

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
United States
By 'righteous' I meant 'in good standing'.
Cargo boxes are those enclosures that are generally mounted on the roof of vehicles to carry cargo.
An ordinary home that doesn't draw attention. Would 'unassuming' or 'modest' be more accurate word choices?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks for your comments, Tarheel.
Do you suggest deleting 'brimming' and 'ranging' because I misused them? Or because they're unnecessary?

They are totally unnecessary.

In the fourth sentence, do you suggest swapping "Among these accomplished inhabitants" for "One of the residents"?

Yes.

Off-topic questions.
'If was going to adopt a fake identity it wouldn't be an illustrious one.' What would it be?

I don't know. But it would be somebody who doesn't stand out.

Would it be grammatically correct if I word the first clause of your sentence as 'If I were to adpot'?

Yes. I think that is correct

:)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
By 'righteous' I meant 'in good standing'.
Cargo boxes are those enclosures that are generally mounted on the roof of vehicles to carry cargo.
An ordinary home that doesn't draw attention. Would 'unassuming' or 'modest' be more accurate word choices?

That's not what "righteous" means. The shippers should go inside, not on tbe roof. Yes, "ordinary", "unassuming", and "modest" are all better choices.

Dutch Van der

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
United States
I looked "righteous" up. Is it used exclusively in religious contexts?
Isn't this what you call a cargo box?
SmartSelect_20200809-181923_Chrome.jpg

Dutch Van der

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
United States
I concede that it's rare enough to see cars with rails on top, and even more rarely see anything on top of those rails in 'murica, but these luggages on top of cars are ubiquitous in Poland.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Nope. You told me to address Probus by his username.

The same advice goes for all users, Dutch Van der. If you feel the need to address a user directly, use their full username.

Dutch Van der

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
United States
Where is that? Do you mean "Murcia", a region of Spain?
No lol. It's an alternative spelling of America, used mainly in the South. Haven't you stumbled upon it on Reddit, Discord or other online communities? It's fairly common.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You seem to be confusing this forum with the many chatrooms in which anything goes. We'll be sorry to lose you if you don't make an effort to conform to our standards.

Dutch Van der

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
United States
You seem to be confusing this forum with the many chatrooms in which anything goes. We'll be sorry to lose you if you don't make an effort to conform to our standards.
Rather archaic standards, but as you might have already noticed, I have no problem writing in formal English. I just didn't know.

Dutch Van der

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
United States
.. . shared by millions of people from all walks of life throughout the world.

In formal/business settings sure, but on the internet such standards are rare.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No lol. It's an alternative spelling of America, used mainly in the South. Haven't you stumbled upon it on Reddit, Discord or other online communities? It's fairly common.

I've never used Reddit or Discord. This is the only online forum of which I am a member. I am, of course, used to the low standard of English used on Facebook, Twitter and the like but this forum (as has been pointed out in other threads) is specifically aimed at helping people learn correct (relatively formal) English. We have a lot of members who are here because they want to/have to pass formal exams in English. We endeavour to ensure that they see only the kind of English that will be acceptable in those exams.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Dutch van der do not use "lol" or any other terms of Chatlish in the Usingenglish forum.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.