Results 1 to 10 of 10
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Nov 2003
    • Posts: 2,715
    #1

    the same as or as much as

    Dear teachers,

    This is a question I put days ago and got different answers. Could you please kindly read the sentence and tell me who is right?

    Language belongs to each member of the society, to the clearner _______ to the professor.

    a. the same as b. as much as
    The key is "b". Could you please explain why "a" isn't correct?

    Looking forward to hearing from you.

    Thank you in advance.

    Jiang

  1. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #2

    Re: the same as or as much as

    Quote Originally Posted by jiang View Post
    Dear teachers,

    This is a question I put days ago and got different answers. Could you please kindly read the sentence and tell me who is right?

    Language belongs to each member of the society, to the clearner _______ to the professor.

    a. the same as b. as much as
    The key is "b". Could you please explain why "a" isn't correct?

    Looking forward to hearing from you.

    Thank you in advance.

    Jiang
    I prefer B, but I wouldn't say that A is incorrect.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Nov 2003
    • Posts: 2,715
    #3

    Re: the same as or as much as


    Dear Mike,

    Thank you very much for your reply. I see.

    Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    I prefer B, but I wouldn't say that A is incorrect.

  2. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #4

    Re: the same as or as much as

    Quote Originally Posted by jiang View Post

    Dear Mike,

    Thank you very much for your reply. I see.

    Jiang
    The sense of A is that the language belongs to one the same is it belongs to the other.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Nov 2003
    • Posts: 2,715
    #5

    Re: the same as or as much as

    &
    Dear Mike,

    Do you mean A also makes sense?

    Looking forward to hearing from you.

    Thank you in advance

    Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    The sense of A is that the language belongs to one the same is it belongs to the other.

  3. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #6

    Re: the same as or as much as

    I answered yesterday in the old string; look there for my full answer. Some people use "the same as" to mean "similar in some respect that I have in mind, and you'll have to guess which one (and I don't really care if you guess wrong)". I regard this as wrong and/or lazy, and - in contexts where accuracy of communication matters - possibly dangerous.

    b
    Last edited by BobK; 10-Oct-2006 at 12:01. Reason: Clarify

  4. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #7

    Re: the same as or as much as

    Quote Originally Posted by jiang View Post
    &
    Dear Mike,

    Do you mean A also makes sense?

    Looking forward to hearing from you.

    Thank you in advance

    Jiang
    Yes. It may be a BE/AE difference, but I don't have as much of a problem as Bob does with that option. That said, you do remember that I prefer option B.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Nov 2003
    • Posts: 2,715
    #8

    Re: the same as or as much as


    Hi BobK,

    Thank you very much for your further explanation. Now I see.

    Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    I answered yesterday in the old string; look there for my full answer. Some people use "the same as" to mean "similar in some respect that I have in mind, and you'll have to guess which one (and I don't really care if you guess wrong)". I regard this as wrong and/or lazy, and - in contexts where accuracy of communication matters - possibly dangerous.

    b

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Nov 2003
    • Posts: 2,715
    #9

    Re: the same as or as much as


    Dear Mike,

    Thank you very much for your reply. Now I see.

    Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    Yes. It may be a BE/AE difference, but I don't have as much of a problem as Bob does with that option. That said, you do remember that I prefer option B.

  5. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #10

    Re: the same as or as much as

    Quote Originally Posted by jiang View Post

    Dear Mike,

    Thank you very much for your reply. Now I see.

    Jiang
    You're welcome, Jiang.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •