English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
For UE.jpg

The sign above has been stuck to lots of bus seats in the city where I live. Every time I read it, I think "OK, then what should I do to support social distancing?" It's a perfect example of how swapping the two halves of a sentence would make it much clearer.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The buses where I live are postered with the following ubiquitous slogan regarding COVID-19:

Catch it. Bin it. Kill it.

I don't think the first of those three implorations is particularly great advice.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The buses where I live are postered with the following ubiquitous slogan regarding COVID-19:

I don't think the first of those three implorations is particularly great advice.
And . . . Huh? Bin it? Sounds like what my president would try if shooting Clorox didn't work!

white-zinsser-primers-00901-64_1000.jpg

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I think "bin it" is BrE for "throw it in the trash." But I certainly agree with jutfrank. The whole slogan seems pretty nonsensical as a way of preventing the spread of covid-19.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

The other two aren't works of genius either.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Catch it, bin it, kill it" has been around a lot longer than Covid. We've seen posters carrying the slogan, mainly in the winter, in the UK for years, aimed at people with colds or flu. The Covid-specific government slogan is now on its third incarnation. So far, we've had:

1. Stay home, protect the NHS, save lives.
2. Stay alert, control the virus, save lives.
3. Hands, face, space.

Apparently, #3 is the current one but I'd never heard of it until today when I Googled the slogans for this post.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think "bin it" is BrE for "throw it in the trash." But I certainly agree with jutfrank. The whole slogan seems pretty nonsensical as a way of preventing the spread of covid-19.
Yeah, I got it. I'd just never heard it. In the US, painters often say, "Hit it with the Bin."

So I was picturing shellacking it with some heavy-duty primer. It's got to work, right? How could it not?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
So I was picturing shellacking it with some heavy-duty primer. It's got to work, right? How could it not?

I don't know. Asking DJT sounds like a good idea. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.