Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Siri usually does a good job when listening to native English speakers: showing correctly, though not with 100% accuracy, on screen what they say. But Siri is often frustrated by what a non-native speaker says. Here (a short video from YouKu) is such a speaker and Siri completely fails at recognizing what he says (Siri cannot even recognize him as he says "I am honored.")

Can you recognize what the speaker says? How should he improve his English speaking?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I can follow him, but I think quite a few native speakers would find his pronunciation hard work. There's a mismatch between the standard of his English, which is good, and his speech; this is not uncommon in educational systems that focus too much on writing skills.

PeterCW

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I did find his pronunciation very difficult to follow. It isn't just an issue for non-native speakers, voice recognition software often has problems with English regional accents as well.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The gerund works for me.

I remember a story from the early days of voice recognition. It was a system used by police and it was developed in Texas. When sold to police in England, they couldn't get it to work unless they used a drawl.

Status
Not open for further replies.