[General] Apparently Graves sees scientists...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi.

Is the following sentence natural? Would native speakers use it? It's from my old notebook and now the source and author is not known.

Apparently Graves sees scientists as a sober, plodding phalanx of soulless thinking machines, never making a step that hasn't been carefully thought out in advance.

I think it's not natural at all.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Why do you think it's not natural? It's grammatically correct and, in the right context, would be perfectly acceptable.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Why do you think it's not natural? It's grammatically correct and, in the right context, would be perfectly acceptable.

The first reason was I can't find the context. The second reason is I think my English is not good enough to say if it's natural or not. Thanks a lot, emsr2d2. I'll keep it for future reference. I can improve my writing skills by reading paragraphs like this one.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
It is a sarcastic remark of scientists being unimaginative, uninteresting, robotic, careful and cautious.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

The second reason is I think my English is not good enough to say if it's natural or not.
Then why did you say you didn't think it was natural in post #1?

I'll keep it for future reference. I can improve my writing skills by reading paragraphs like this one.
You can, but only if you need to write such convoluted, relatively formal language.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Then why did you say you didn't think it was natural in post #1?

I think many sentences in my old notebooks are not natural. You know, when I think my English is not good enough to tell if it's natural or not, I tend to say the sentence is not correct because I need to give my thoughts about the sentence. Perhaps next time I don't need to express my opinion if the sentence is natural or not?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If your English isn't of a standard to have an opinion on whether it's natural or not, it's better to just ask us. Bear in mind, though, that you might get a lot of questions about what exactly you mean by "natural".

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
If your English isn't of a standard to have an opinion on whether it's natural or not, it's better to just ask us. Bear in mind, though, that you might get a lot of questions about what exactly you mean by "natural".

I am just curious about this. I think native speakers know what "natural" means, right? I don't know why you always ask me this while other many members can use the word "natural" without being ask. I just want to make sure that the sentence is natural and native speaker would use it. Idiomatic, not Chinglish.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There is no absolute definition of "natural" when talking about language. You probably get asked what you mean more often than other people because all your posts ask about the naturalness of your posts. For me, a "natural" sentence is one you might hear from a native speaker in normal, everyday conversation. For example:

I have a pet cat. (Grammatically correct and natural)
I am the proud possessor of a domesticated feline. (Grammatically correct and not natural)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's a creative sentence. Few would say it, but that doesn't mean it's unnatural.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi.

Is the following sentence natural? Would native speakers use it? It's from my old notebook and now the source and author is not known.

Apparently Graves sees scientists as a sober, plodding phalanx of soulless thinking machines, never making a step that hasn't been carefully thought out in advance.

It's perfectly natural written English. It's not conversational, but it's not supposed to be. Writing usually isn't, except for quotations.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It is a sarcastic remark of scientists being unimaginative, uninteresting, robotic, careful and cautious.
I don't see any sarcasm at all there at. The writer is expressing an opinion absolutely directly.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I think native speakers know what "natural" means, right?

The members here have quite different ideas of what natural means when it comes to language use, which can cause confusion.

For example, look what emsr2d2 says here:

For me, a "natural" sentence is one you might hear from a native speaker in normal, everyday conversation. For example:

I have a pet cat. (Grammatically correct and natural)
I am the proud possessor of a domesticated feline. (Grammatically correct and not natural)

For me, the second of those sentences is natural. It's just that it's not a normal everyday form of expression.

I think of naturalness as what a native speaker could say rather than what a native speaker is statistically likely to say. Those are very different things. One question that I ask myself when I'm determining whether a piece of language is natural is this: Do I suspect from what I hear that the speaker is a non-native speaker?

This is a very complicated question. I really think the forum would benefit if we had a discussion about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.