Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
It means that you picked up a file without much consideration of which one you chose.
Thanks a lot. That's exactly what I wanted to meant.

I think I've heard people saying 'grab' to mean 'buy something.' For example: "Can you grab an orange juice on your way home?"
Without any context does this sentence mean 'can you get an orange juice from the store?'

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When I used to do office clerical work, I found that if I carried a piece of paper when I walked around, no one would notice that I wasn't working. What the paper was didn't matter. It's the same with grabbing a file. The point isn't what the file is. The point is that it looks like you're working.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
When I used to do office clerical work, I found that if I carried a piece of paper when I walked around, no one would notice that I wasn't working. What the paper was didn't matter. It's the same with grabbing a file. The point isn't what the file is. The point is that it looks like you're working.

Off-topic - I used to work with a woman who strode purposefully round our office holding a clipboard and a pen at all times. It took a long time for everyone to realise that she was doing absolutely nothing! (We also discovered that she would disappear into the toilets at least once an hour to do her hair and touch up her makeup!)

Status
Not open for further replies.