[Essay] A personal failure that has impacted your life and what you learned from it

Status
Not open for further replies.

CATIEE

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Dear Teachers,

Could you please help me with editing my essay?

I should write an essay/record it for 3-4 minutes. I prepare the following text.

A personal failure that has impacted your life and what you learned from it

As one of the most memorable failures in my career, I can talk about the time that I was appointed as a general manager by my boss. I was working in a study service group as a student consultant. After a while, I got promoted to a general manager role. In my new position, my boss gave me a chance to interview and hire an entry-level employee for our team. Close to the deadline for submitting applications of our prospective applicants at the universities, which was a very critical time for the entire team, I decided to hire someone, which was not the best match for our team and also not the perfect time for hiring her. Back at that time, the team had lack of members, and we were too busy with applicants’ files. So, I thought a new member could be a great help. We could have her on board, train her, and quickly allocate some tasks to her. However, it ended up being a big mistake. As you can imagine, the application procedure is a sensitive task and needs to be done carefully. The new employee did not used to ask questions when she faced a problem, and she would prefer to take a risk and finalize the tasks with her responsibility instead of seeking consultation. She had this concern that if she asks some questions, she will put her new position in danger and will probably lose her job. I put too much effort to check what she is doing and, in most cases, redo the tasks to prevent any mistake. So, finally, after two weeks, I decided to send her on vacation, which was not beneficial for the team.

From the beginning, I had the idea to hire a professional member. However, as my boss suggested hiring an entry-level employee, I did not try to convince him that this decision is not beneficial and, of course, not the best decision at this point. I learned to be more careful and not rush my decision. Instead, I could speak with my boss and convince him that hiring a first-entry member at this critical time could be harmful to the team and cause problems.

Since then, until the time that I was working in that study service group as a general manager, I never rushed hiring new members, and in some cases, I could discuss with my boss and change his idea. I think it was a great lesson to learn early in my career, and fortunately, sending her on vacation was the best decision then.

Thank you for your attention, and I am looking forward to your response.

Yours faithfully,
CATIEE

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
When are due to submit your essay to your teacher/tutor to be marked or graded?

CATIEE

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Thank you for your message.
There is no fixed deadline, but I would rather to send it out tomorrow if it is possible. Otherwise, until 30.08.2020 would be OK.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Then we wish you good luck. We do not help with homework or assignments on the forum. All the work you submit to your teacher must be your work. Your teacher isn't interested in seeing how we would write an essay. He/She needs to know how you would write it. That is how he/she will work out where your strengths and weaknesses lie.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.