Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
How can I develop my english vocabulary?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Re: Mister

Hi Dhanelbi.

Welcome to the forum.

What has the title of your thread got to do with your post? If it is meant to be an address, it is not required.

I think your vocabulary will improve naturally as you read and listen more in English and pay attention to new words that you come across. That is better than memorising new words from the dictionary. New words are only good if you know how to use them. It is a gradual process to build up one's vocabulary and there is no quick and easy method. Constructing sentences with new words helps, as is done by forummers here

By the way, "English" is written with a capital.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Re: Mister

Read.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Dhanelbi, please note that I have changed your thread title.

Extract from the Posting Guidelines:

'Thread titles should include all or part of the word/phrase being discussed.'

huntingthemuse

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Spain
There are plenty of different ways to grow your vocabulary right away, including:

Flashcards
Use a flashcard app and take your words with your wherever you go. Practice them in your spare time.

Create categories
A great way I've found with many English learners is to find synonyms to some words and create categories. For example, you can put the most common words you need, for example, for Food, Travelling, Personality, etc. Then, write words you know well and put them at the beginning of a list. After that, you can put five other words underneath it with similar meanings. For example, leave – forsake – abandon – quit – give up. This is bound to grow your vocabulary!

Reading
Read widely (and slowly) and take notes alongside whatever you're reading. For example, if you're reading a book in English, make a mess of it! Use a pencil to underline, circle, and add definitions of words you don't know. Look them up and add them to your flashcard app. Here's a great list of classic English stories [link deleted by moderator] where you can find a book to suit your level.

Conversation, conversation, conversation
Nothing beats conversation to grow your vocabulary. If you have a tutor, language exchange partner, or willing friend, you can get corrections while you speak and also, you'll start to pick up word you want to say but don't know yet. Then, you can look them up and add them to a flashcard app.

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Welcome, Dhanelbi!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
How can I develop my English vocabulary?

Remember to capitalise all proper nouns.

I echo Raymott's advice - read! Read a lot! And get a good English dictionary (and bookmark OneLook and Fraze.it.)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I wouldn't use flashcards. I especially wouldn't focus on words I'm not likely to use. Instead I would read stuff at my level (more or less) with a " new" word every once in a while.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
huntingthemuse, welcome to the forum. We look forward to getting the benefit of your knowledge and experience, but please change your username.

Our Member Profile Rule #1 reads as follows:

Profile names should be real name or avatars, not advertisements. If your profile name is either a web address or the name of a product then this equates to it being an advertisement and you will be required to change it. You request to change it by following the FAQ entry called 'How do I change my username?'. If you refuse to change it you will be banned for attempting to spam our forum.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.