Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello.

In my story, an old person is at the hospital. She is talking about death and the fear of it. Can I use "darkness" and "envelop" in this context?

What do you think about this sentence?

She was lying in bed fighting for her life. She held her daughter's hand. "What happens after life ends? What happens after the inevitable darkness envelops life and life can't do anything about it?"

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Yes, that makes sense.

PS: Although, the darkness does more than envelop life. It extinguishes it. If it only envelops life, the life still exists.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Yes, that makes sense.

PS: Although, the darkness does more than envelop life. It extinguishes it. If it only envelops life, the life still exists.

So you think this doesn't work?

She was lying in bed fighting for her life. She held her daughter's hand. "What happens after life ends? What happens after the inevitable darkness envelops life and life can't do anything about it?"

And if I change the verb?

She was lying in bed fighting for her life. She held her daughter's hand. "What happens after life ends? What happens after the inevitable darkness extinguishes life and life can't do anything about it?"

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Well, it depends on what you want to say.
If you want life to continue to exist enveloped in darkness, use the first. If you want life to be extinguished, use the second.
Of course, you could write, "darkness envelops life and extinguishes it".

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Since she is talking about death I'll go with this:

She was lying in bed fighting for her life. She held her daughter's hand. "What happens after life ends? What happens after the inevitable darkness envelops and extinguishes life and life can't do anything about it?"

Could you please tell me if this is a good sentence? Is there a better way of expressing the idea?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Sure, that's fine.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I've moved your thread.

Please post threads asking for our comments on your writing (and ways to improve it) here in the Editing & Writing Topics forum.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
She was lying in bed fighting for her life. She held her daughter's hand and said, "What happens after life ends? What happens after the inevitable darkness envelops and extinguishes life and life can't do anything about it?"

I think it is not the darkness that extinguishes life. It is the other way around - one's life ends and is plunged into a world of darkness. (to go with the flow of your story)

Status
Not open for further replies.