Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello.

I want to suggest a person falls in love as a way of destroying himself. Have I used "self-destruction" correctly and naturally? Is this okay?

His is more self-destruction than it is romance. He falls in love to feed his masochistic impulses. For reasons that defy logic, Jack finds self-destruction to be bordering on the edge poetic and romantic.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Hello.

I want to suggest a person falls in love as a way of destroying himself. Have I used "self-destruction" correctly and naturally? Is this okay?
[STRIKE]
His
[/STRIKE] It is more of self-destruction than [STRIKE]it is [/STRIKE]romance. [STRIKE]He[/STRIKE] Jack falls in love to feed his masochistic impulses. For reasons that defy logic, [STRIKE]Jack[/STRIKE] he finds his self-destruction to be bordering on the edge of the poetic and romantic.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks man.

Let's also see what native speakers think.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
What do you mean by the initial "his"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Please don't refer to users here using such terms as "man". Reserve them for your friends.

Alright.

So, what do you think about the paragraph in post #1?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

His missing word is more self-destruction than [STRIKE]it is[/STRIKE] romance. He falls in love to feed his masochistic impulses. For reasons that defy logic, Jack finds self-destruction to be bordering on [STRIKE]the edge[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]poetic[/STRIKE] poetry and [STRIKE]romantic[/STRIKE] romance.

See above for my suggested corrections.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
See above for my suggested corrections.

Thanks a lot. I really appreciate it. What should I put instead of the missing word? Romance?

Also, my own preference is to use "poetic". How can I do that correctly?

What do you think about the sentence generally? Is it a good sentence in the context of a romance book, for example?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
. . . His urges are more self-destructive than[STRIKE] it is[/STRIKE] romantic. He falls in love to feed his masochistic impulses. For motives that defy logic, Jack finds self-destruction [STRIKE]to be bordering on the edge[/STRIKE] poetic [STRIKE]and romantic[/STRIKE].
In the first sentence, his urges were not romantic. In the third, they were. So I got rid of the second one.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
It is true that bordering on the edge is tautologous. Edge and border mean the same thing. I don't understand how a relationship can be described as self-destructive and masochistic.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Self-destructive behavior and masochistic behavior could be the same thing, couldn't they?

Status
Not open for further replies.