Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello.

In my short story, there are two mafia bosses at war. One of them sends an attractive woman to destroy the other. I want to suggest the woman was very tempting.

Can I use the word "tantalizingly"? Now, I have written a sentence which I know doesn't work for speaking but is it a good sentence for writing?

She was a poison pill, one that looked so tantalizingly good and harmless.

Also, what about the two adjectives that come after it? Do I have other options?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In my short story, there are two mafia bosses at war. One of them sends an attractive woman to destroy the other. I want to suggest the woman was very tempting. Can I use the word "tantalizingly"? Yes, you can.

[STRIKE]Now,[/STRIKE] I have written a sentence which I know doesn't work [STRIKE]for speaking[/STRIKE] when spoken but is it a good written sentence? [STRIKE]for writing?[/STRIKE]

She was a poison pill, but one that looked [STRIKE]so[/STRIKE] tantalizingly good and harmless.

Also, what about the two adjectives that come after it? Do I have other options?

See above. "Harmless" is fine but many editors will recommend you avoid wishy-washy adjectives like "good" and "nice". I'm sure you can come up with something else.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
See above. "Harmless" is fine but many editors will recommend you avoid wishy-washy adjectives like "good" and "nice". I'm sure you can come up with something else.

I see. Do these work? Which one is better?

1. tantalizingly alluring
2. tantalizingly seductive
3. tantalizingly tempting

I need to make sure that they are not a miscollocation.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Those all seem redundant and wordy. Why not just say she looked tantalizing?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Not sure about poison pill.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Those all seem redundant and wordy. Why not just say she looked tantalizing?

Because I need to use "tantalizingly" as and adverb and have it followed by "harmless" as ad adjective. But I can't say "tantalizingly harmless," can I?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Because I need to use "tantalizingly" as and adverb and have it followed by "harmless" as ad adjective. But I can't say "tantalizingly harmless," can I?

I'm sure I've asked you a similar question before but why do you need to use those words? Who is forcing you to use them?

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I'm sure I've asked you a similar question before but why do you need to use those words? Who is forcing you to use them?

You are right. My bad. I "want" to use to those words.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You are right. My bad. I "want" to use to those words.
Aha! I was wondering who said you had to use them.

So good. That means you can let go of them. Or you can use them somewhere else.

That would be better than trying to squeeze too many ideas into sentences. Your "tantalizingly good and harmless" is an example. Why is harmless tantalizing? Slow down. Make one thought follow another. That's better than piling them on top of each other.

Keep asking yourself: Do I need this adjective? Do I need to describe that? Is this moving the story forward? Or is it a distraction?

The way to learn to write — in any language — is to read. A lot. Every day. Dive in. Soak it up. Immerse yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Aha! I was wondering who said you had to use them.

So good. That means you can let go of them. Or you can use them somewhere else.

That would be better than trying to squeeze too many ideas into sentences. Your "tantalizingly good and harmless" is an example. Why is harmless tantalizing? Slow down. Make one thought follow another. That's better than piling them on top of each other.

Keep asking yourself: Do I need this adjective? Do I need to describe that? Is this moving the story forward? Or is it a distraction?

The way to learn to write — in any language — is to read. A lot. Every day. Dive in. Soak it up. Immerse yourself.

Thanks for your advice. Very useful.

What do you think about this?

She was a poison pill, but one that tasted tantalizingly sweet.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you already know how she "tasted", then she's not "tantalisingly sweet". If you use "tantalising" it's because you want to say that you get the impression that something would have a certain characteristic.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
If you already know how she "tasted", then she's not "tantalisingly sweet". If you use "tantalising" it's because you want to say that you get the impression that something would have a certain characteristic.

Aha. So you can't say something or someone is tantalizing if you have already tried them.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Not really, no. You might say that a bowl of cherries looks tantalisingly sweet but once you've tried them, you know whether they are or not.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Not really, no. You might say that a bowl of cherries looks tantalisingly sweet but once you've tried them, you know whether they are or not.

What about this:

She was a poison pill, but one that tasted deceptively sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.