Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I wonder whether my mother adopted that style when she was working on her high-school equivalency in 1946 England and never updated it. It would explain one bit of why I always found her handwriting so hard to decipher. (As far as I know, it was never used here in the United States.)

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I wonder whether my mother adopted that style when she was working on her high-school equivalency in 1946 England and never updated it. It would explain one bit of why I always found her handwriting so hard to decipher. (As far as I know, it was never used here in the United States.)
Hm. Possibly. But people have a hard time deciphering my handwriting, and I've never been to England.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hm. Possibly. But people have a hard time deciphering my handwriting, and I've never been to England.
She learned to write in pre-war Poland. After she was liberated by the Red Army, she worked for the Soviets briefly, helping with paperwork. She probably learned Cyrillic handwriting then. There were a number of writing systems in Europe in those days, and they all differed from what was taught in the United States. I used to think Mom had adopted bits from every one she was exposed to.

Status
Not open for further replies.