• Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: handwriting style

Quote Originally Posted by GeneD View Post
    It seems that this variant of the cursive 'p' isn't too popular, is it?

No, not at all. This is the first time I've seen it.

When I searched on the internet for the cursive 'p', google showed me a bunch of those. I was sure that I had seen the first variant of the cursive 'p' and did find it... But I'm at a loss a bit... The were so few results that I'm not sure if the first variant is even used.

Anything's possible.

The thing is, in Russian we also use the same letter (for a different sound, but it doesn't matter) and for me this variant is more convenient.

The usual way is easy enough if you practice it a few times.

I wouldn't really like to repeat the feat of the acquaintance of Probus's.
    Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Russia anymore!

I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

2. Moderator
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I wonder whether my mother adopted that style when she was working on her high-school equivalency in 1946 England and never updated it. It would explain one bit of why I always found her handwriting so hard to decipher. (As far as I know, it was never used here in the United States.)
    I am not a teacher.

VIP Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by GoesStation View Post
    I wonder whether my mother adopted that style when she was working on her high-school equivalency in 1946 England and never updated it. It would explain one bit of why I always found her handwriting so hard to decipher. (As far as I know, it was never used here in the United States.)
    Hm. Possibly. But people have a hard time deciphering my handwriting, and I've never been to England.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

4. Moderator
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    Hm. Possibly. But people have a hard time deciphering my handwriting, and I've never been to England.
    She learned to write in pre-war Poland. After she was liberated by the Red Army, she worked for the Soviets briefly, helping with paperwork. She probably learned Cyrillic handwriting then. There were a number of writing systems in Europe in those days, and they all differed from what was taught in the United States. I used to think Mom had adopted bits from every one she was exposed to.
    I am not a teacher.

Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3