• Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Belarus
      • Current Location:
      • Belarus

handwriting style

Hello all.
    I've just looked through a Wikipedia article, and there appear to be several styles of English handwriting, which made me a bit confused. Hence a couple of questions:
    Which style of handwriting were you taught at school?
    What kind of handwriting do you use in your everyday life?
    Is it looped cursive or something different?
    If it's not too much trouble to you, could you please correct any errors I might have made in this post?

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: handwriting style

When I was at school, we were taught simply to write the individual letters separately first and then, from about the age of 8, we were taught "joined-up writing", now called "cursive". I have no idea what they teach kids now and, judging by the state of the handwriting of a friend's 13-year-old, I'd be surprised if they taught any kind of handwriting skills!
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

3. Senior Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Belarus
      • Current Location:
      • Belarus

Thanks, Ems. Do you write this way? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEeYX3RZhUI

I saw an article today on the internet where it was said that in the US they don't teach kids this thing anymore! I don't know to what extent it's true, though, but I was shocked to hear this!
    If it's not too much trouble to you, could you please correct any errors I might have made in this post?

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

My handwriting these days is a mixture of cursive and non-cursive. I connect some letters and not others. My writing now doesn't remotely resemble my writing in the small amount of schoolwork I still have in my possession.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

5. Moderator
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by GeneD View Post
    I saw an article today on the internet where it was said that in the US they don't teach kids this thing anymore! I don't know to what extent it's true, though, but I was shocked to hear this!
    The United States has thousands of school districts. I think some states have statewide curriculums, but the general rule is that each school district has a significant level of autonomy. Therefore, some schools teach cursive and some don't. It's a controversial subject, as you might imagine.

I was first taught to write in block letters, then in looped cursive similar but not identical to that in the video. I tried using cursive for a year or two. It didn't work well for me so I reverted to a more elegant, partially-connected version of the block letters I'd learned initially.

When I look at my handwriting from my college days, I find it quite attractive. Nowadays I can barely write at all because of minor physical handicaps, tremor and writer's cramp. Luckily it's rarely necessary anymore.
    Last edited by GoesStation; 05-Sep-2020 at 14:01. Reason: Fix a typo.
    I am not a teacher.

6. Moderator
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    My handwriting these days is a mixture of cursive and non-cursive. I connect some letters and not others. My writing now doesn't remotely resemble my writing in the small amount of schoolwork I still have in my possession.
    That's much like mine when I could still write. Now I have to write entirely disconnected letters if I want to make reading them remotely possible. It isn't pretty.
    I am not a teacher.

VIP Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I know a few people who use straight-ahead cursive, but most people I know use their own styles, which include elements of both cursive and print.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

8. Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

I believe I have dysgraphia and struggle to write with a pen, though I was born when this was seen as simply bad writing. I write in block capitals, though I am fine with a keyboard.

VIP Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by GeneD View Post
    Thanks, Ems. Do you write this way? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEeYX3RZhUI

It's a great development, because now we can write things that kids can't read. Handy!

It's like reading a clock. The kids only ready digital faces, so they often have no idea what time it is, and we do.

It always pays to stay a couple of steps ahead of 'em.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

10. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

The best form of auto theft prevention is a manual transmission!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last