Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. Senior Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Belarus
      • Current Location:
      • Belarus

    • Join Date: Mar 2017
    • Posts: 852

    transition of a part of a word to another line

    Let's assume it's a very small piece of paper:

    Handwriting is the writ-
    ing done with a writing instru-
    ment, such as a pen or pen-
    cil, in the hand.

    What do you call transition of a part of a word to another line? Are there any rules for this? I'm almost 100% sure I've done it incorrectly in the example sentence.
    If it's not too much trouble to you, could you please correct any errors I might have made in this post?

  2. emsr2d2's Avatar
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 58,563

    Re: transition of a part of a word to another line

    I believe it's called "end-of-line hyphenation".

    You haven't exactly done it incorrectly, but it does look weird because the hyphenation would only take place once the text reaches the natural end the line, not after just five or six words as you have done.

    I've done a little experiment below to demonstrate.

    I don't know if this will work because I don't think the text editor does this but I'm going to try it anyway because what I need is for there to be a dev-
    astatingly long word at the end of line 1.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts