FANBOYS question

So I learned one thing in school and another on the internet (oh how trusty it can be) and would just like to know which is right.

Can any of the CCs in FANBOYS be used at the start of a sentence, particularly "but" and "and?"

I was always taught never to do this, but I seem to see it in places where it probably shouldn't be (articles).

Just wondering, thanks!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: FANBOYS question

Quote Originally Posted by BboySeoul View Post
    So I learned one thing in school and another on the internet (oh how trusty it can be) and would just like to know which is right.

Can any of the CCs in FANBOYS be used at the start of a sentence, particularly "but" and "and?"

I was always taught never to do this, but I seem to see it in places where it probably shouldn't be (articles).

Just wondering, thanks!
    Many English teachers have discouraged starting sentences with coordinating conjunctions. This was done, IMO, for two reasons. First, young writers tend to do this too often. This practice leads to a boring litany of incomplete thoughts. Second, it interferes with skill development in forming compound and complex sentences. That said, there is no real "rule" about this. It is a matter of style, not grammar. An initial conjunction can add emphasis to the
    statement that follows it -- if used correctly and sparingly. Remember, he who emphasizes everything, emphasizes nothing.