Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
A video blogger who is from the rural area recorded how she picked up Chinese medicinal herbs near riverside, and made medicinal yeast for sweet fermented rice on her own. That's really cool. Afer searching more videos and articles about that, I decided to take my shot. That fresh herb is unavailable in the downtown where I live in, but nothing could stop me. I bought dried one online.

After grinding, sieving the herb time and again, and then mixing the herb powder into rice flour etc, I finallly made 27 balls of the yeast. Oops, busted my hump! Forty-eight hours later, they grew lovely white hair which were the yeast mycelia...

It was time to do my litmus test. I mixed a tiny of my homemade medicinal yeast into lukewarm cooked rice. After around 24 hours, I could smell the familiar aroma from the container... I knew I've made it.

Yeastee-yi-yay! I wanna rock!!!

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
A video blogger [STRIKE]who is[/STRIKE] from [STRIKE]the [/STRIKE] a rural area[STRIKE] recorded[/STRIKE] wrote about how she picked [STRIKE]up [/STRIKE]Chinese medicinal herbs near a riverside[STRIKE], and made[/STRIKE] to make medicinal (herbal) yeast for sweet fermented rice on her own. (I thought) that's really cool. After searching for more videos and articles about that (the subject), I decided to take [STRIKE]my[/STRIKE] a shot. [STRIKE]That[/STRIKE] The fresh herb is unavailable[STRIKE] in the[/STRIKE] downtown where I live [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE], but nothing could stop me. I bought the dried [STRIKE]one[/STRIKE] type online.

After grinding and sieving the herb[STRIKE] time and again[/STRIKE] a few times, and then mixing the herb powder into rice flour etc, I finallly made 27 (twenty seven) balls of the yeast. Oops, I almost busted my hump! Forty-eight hours later, they grew lovely white hair, which were the yeast mycelia...

It was time to [STRIKE]do my litmus[/STRIKE] put it to a test. I mixed a [STRIKE]tiny [/STRIKE] pinch of my homemade [STRIKE]medicinal[/STRIKE] yeast into lukewarm cooked rice. After [STRIKE]around[/STRIKE] about 24 hours, I could smell the familiar aroma from the container (jar)*... and I knew I[STRIKE]'ve[/STRIKE] had made it.

Yeastee-yi-yay! I wanna** rock!!!

*I think rice wine is normally made in a glass jar.
**If you want to say you are very pleased or satisfied with your effort, I think "I rock" might be better.

Last edited:

tree123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hello,

#1.
A video blogger who is from the a rural area recordedwrote about ...

It is a video tutorial that the person was videoed that she went to a riverside to pick the herb, and demonstrated how she made the yeast. It's not in text.

Could I say 'in the video the blogger showed how'...? Doesn't it work if I use 'video blogger' which implies it is a video?

If no, would you please advise an appropriate expression about this?

#2. What's the difference between 'around and 'about'?
After around about 24 hours, I could smell the familiar aroma
Cambridge Dictionary defines 'around' as 'APPROXIMATELY'. I had thought the two words were interchangable. Wrong?

#3. Rice wine can be made in a glass jar, porcelain jar, a bowel and whatever. Right, it is more usual to make it in jar. But I don't make it in a jar, but an electrical application in which there a stainless steel container that can keep a permanent temperature at 30C. Please see the attachment. That's a picture which is similar to my own one. I searched it from the Internet.

0014.jpg

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Hello,

#1.

It is a video tutorial that the person was videoed that she went to a riverside to pick the herb, and demonstrated how she made the yeast. It's not in text.

Could I say 'in the video the blogger showed how'...? Yes, showed (in her video) is better than recorded.

Doesn't it work if I use 'video blogger' which implies it is a video? Yes, it does, but it doesn't mean the video is not accompanied by text.

If no, would you please advise an appropriate expression about this? "Showed" is good.

#2. What's the difference between 'around and 'about'?

Cambridge Dictionary defines 'around' as 'APPROXIMATELY'. I had thought the two words were interchangable. Wrong?

You are right there, but I prefer to use around with time (e.g. around 10.00 am) rather than duration, but that's just me.

#3. Rice wine can be made in a glass jar, porcelain jar, a bowel (bowl) and whatever. Right, it is more usual to make it in a jar. But I don't make it in a jar, but an electrical [STRIKE]application[/STRIKE] appliance which there a stainless steel container that can[STRIKE] keep[/STRIKE] maintain a [STRIKE]permanent[/STRIKE] temperature at 30C. Please see the attachment. That's a picture which is similar to [STRIKE][STRIKE]my own one[/STRIKE][/STRIKE] mine. I [STRIKE]searched[/STRIKE] got it from the Internet.

I call this an electrical rice pot. So it is a pot, with a glass lid.
View attachment 3622

Last edited:

tree123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I have very thick skin when it comes to English learning and many other things.

This time I am a little embarrassed because of my STUPID spelling. Dear me, how could I mix the two words!!!

a bowel (bowl)

:oops::lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.