Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The phrase "to the editor" appears to form one intonation group and so the interval between "to" and "the" remains a question to be addressed. Is there no pause between the two words (that is, the sounds naturally slip from one to another)? Is it pronounced as /tu ðiː/?

===========
TO THE EDITOR:
Rapid and accurate diagnostic tests are essential for controlling the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic.

Source: New England Journal of Medicine
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2016359?query=featured_home

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The phrase "to the editor" appears to form one intonation group and so the interval between "to" and "the" remains a question to be addressed. Is there no pause between the two words (that is, the sounds naturally slip from one to another)? Is it pronounced as /tu ðiː/?
Yes, in most cases. Learners will do well to follow the rule about pronouncing "to" in stressed and unstressed situations, but you shouldn't be surprised if you sometimes hear native speakers break it.

The same goes for "the" before a vowel. Many people in my region and speakers of African-American Vernacular English nearly always pronounce it with a schwa. Learners should not do this.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Would it sound odd if there is a pause between "to" and "the editor" when reading?

To (0.5s pause) the editor

It seems to be an emphasis to show a manner that is a bit more serious. I am not sure.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Would it sound odd if there is a pause between "to" and "the editor" when reading?

It seems to be an emphasis to show a manner that is a bit more serious. I am not sure.
Read it fluidly, without a pause.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And my wife likes to remind me that a the before a vowel sound (like the e in editor) is pronounced thee, while a the before a consonant (like the l in letter) is pronounced thuh.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

I wouldn't pause- I see no need for emphasis as I am arrogant enough to think the editor wants to hear what I have to say.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
And my wife likes to remind me that a the before a vowel sound (like the e in editor) is pronounced thee, while a the before a consonant (like the l in letter) is pronounced thuh.

That's certainly true for me, and I wish it was true for everybody, but it's not. Somebody I know very well, an associate professor at a major university, always says thuh regardless of the next word. As I've remarked in the past, this seems to be a trend among younger speakers.

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's been common in my region since I was a boy in the 1960s.

Status
Not open for further replies.