• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

I Wish to Neighbor with Xia Jie

Xia Jie is a video blogger of homemade cuisine. I follow her in a video-sharing website because I'd like to learn cooking. Later, I found her delicious dishes become my side dishes, while her country life, personality and the local culture are my main dish.

She has a forget-worries bright smile, and looks unpretentious. The day before yesterday, I locked myself out, and had to ask a locksmith to open the door for me. I felt blue. It was a real cure after I clicked one of her videos. My frustration was melting in her big smile, evaporing in the blue Sky there.

'How good it would be to neighor with Xia Jie' -- this idea often pops in my mind when I watch her videos.

P.S. this is the second part of my writing about Xia Jie. The relevant first part is titled 'Chinese Country Song'. I think it is too long to request for proofreading here if I write too much in a post.
    Last edited by tree123; 22-Sep-2020 at 00:59.

Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: I Wisih to Neighbor with Xia Jie

I don't think you can use "neighbour" as a verb, even in this Internet age. Perhaps you want to befriend her, or follow her on Youtube or whatever equivalent you see her on, or even become a fan of hers, but you can't say "neighbour somebody."

3. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: I Wisih to Neighbor with Xia Jie

I misunderstood your words, so I've deleted my response above to you. You're right. 'Neighbor' cannot work as a verb.

I wish to move to the place where she lives and be her neighbor. This is what I mean.

Does 'I wish to be her neighbor' for my thread title work?
    Last edited by tree123; 22-Sep-2020 at 01:22.

Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: I Wish to Neighbor with Xia Jie

"I would like to become her neighbour" works, but to be clear I'd probably say simething like: I'd like to move to the region where she lives so that she and I can be friends.

5. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

How about "I wish to live near her"?
    But why would you want to be her neighbour?

I would write "carefree (not forget-worries), bright smile".
    evaporating (spelling)
    I am not a teacher or a native speaker.

6. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

But why would you want to be her neighbour?
    The thought often pops up in my mind, though I won't really move to there.

I think the relationship between neighbors is more casual, informal, so most of time, I can drop by without giving a phone call for an appointment. We can easily get familiar with each other with smiling, nodding whenever we meet, and possibly become friends.

If I just live near her, she might not like me because she knows nothing about me, and I have nothing to offer. It would be abrupt if I request to pay her a visit. It might be annoying if a person visits her so frequently. Friendship is based on mutual appreciation. It is not a one-way ticket.
    Last edited by tree123; 22-Sep-2020 at 10:06.

7. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

It looks like you really adore her and look up to her as your role model.

go to there
    I am not a teacher or a native speaker.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

Quote Originally Posted by tree123 View Post
    Later, I found her delicious dishes become my side dishes, a secondary concern for me, while her country life, personality and the local culture are became my main interest. dish.

She has a forget-worries bright smile and looks unpretentious. The day before yesterday, I locked myself out and had to ask a locksmith to open the door for me. I felt a bit down. blue. It was a real cure after I clicked watching one of her videos afterwards. Her big smile melted my frustration. was melting in her big smile, evaporing in the blue Sky there.

'How good it would be to neighor with live near Xia Jie' -- this idea often pops into my mind when I watch her videos.

9. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by tedmc View Post
    It looks like you really adore her and look up to her as your role model.

go to there
    She is not my role model. I like her personality, the country life and the Northwest culture she presents to the audience which is very different to mine and those I've experienced. In her latest video clip, she shows how she is making a stove made from mud by herself to bake moon cakes greeting the upcoming Moon Festival. Wow, I never saw this before.

Her wording in the dialect is very interesting. She literally says 'bravely fragrant' and 'beautiful' in Chinese to describe the smell and taste of the food she cooks. How could 'fragrance' be brave? This is the feature of her dialect. (I don't pick on her wording.) And she is so uninhibited and natural before the camera.

I have been thinking how good it would be for me to own a small plot of land in the rural area like her I can grow organic vegetable, have a Chinese-bred dog and raise sheep like her.

I know there're some imaginable and unimaginable inconveniences living in the country i.e. rats, mosquitos. What's more, I think (at least in some areas) (some) villagers don't welcome outsiders that much to settle down in their villages unless I can find some local relatives there. We can't buy a house and a plot of land from the villagers. That's illegal. Such a transaction is allowed between villagers. The purpose of the law is to protect the interest of peasants without losing their livelihood. I've talked to my friends about my concern before. They said so too.

It would be better for me to have such a life in my imagination. I dare not to realize it. I call it my daydream. Her videos just satisfy my daydream and imagination about the country life, except for her charming personality and cooking.
    Last edited by tree123; 22-Sep-2020 at 10:01.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Mildly off-topic: Be aware that becoming slightly obsessed with a vlogger and moving house to be near her could easily be mistaken for stalking!
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last