Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
Results 11 to 20 of 21
  1. #11
    jutfrank's Avatar
    jutfrank is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    13,625

    Re: cause damge to the environment

    What is it that you're trying to do with this sentence, alpacinoutd? Is there anything in particular you're trying to practise?

    There's nothing wrong with cause damage, if that's what you're wondering.

  2. #12
    alpacinoutd is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    2,569

    Re: cause damge to the environment

    Quote Originally Posted by jutfrank View Post
    What is it that you're trying to do with this sentence, alpacinoutd? Is there anything in particular you're trying to practise?

    There's nothing wrong with cause damage, if that's what you're wondering.
    I saw a question asked in the TOEFL exam about the ways human beings damage the environment. I wanted to answer that so I wrote that.

    How can I fix it?

  3. #13
    alpacinoutd is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    2,569

    Re: cause damge to the environment

    Could one of the dear moderators please move this thread to the Writing and Editing section before Rover runs me over with a Range Rover?

    This is the sentence:

    The emission of greenhouse gases in the biggest damage we cause to planet earth.

    And it needs to be fixed and re-written.

  4. #14
    tedmc is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,393

    Re: cause damge to the environment

    The emission of greenhouse gases causes one of the biggest damages to the environment of planet Earth.

    The emission of greenhouse gases causes climate change and air pollution of planet Earth.
    Last edited by tedmc; 17-Sep-2020 at 04:31.
    I am not a teacher or a native speaker.

  5. #15
    alpacinoutd is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    2,569

    Re: cause damge to the environment

    I want to use "damage". And I want to say that it us who cause this big damage.

  6. #16
    Tarheel's Avatar
    Tarheel is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    22,275

    Re: cause damge to the environment

    Quote Originally Posted by alpacinoutd View Post
    I want to use "damage". And I want to say that it is us who cause this big damage.
    That's good enough for me. (Apparently, humans are not part of the environment.)
    Not a professional teacher

  7. #17
    Charlie Bernstein's Avatar
    Charlie Bernstein is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    8,493

    Re: cause damge to the environment

    Quote Originally Posted by alpacinoutd View Post
    Could one of the dear moderators please move this thread to the Writing and Editing section before Rover runs me over with a Range Rover?

    This is the sentence:

    The emission of greenhouse gases in the biggest damage we cause to planet earth.

    And it needs to be fixed and re-written.
    Here's one possiblity:

    Of all human activity, greenhouse gas emission causes the greatest damage to climate and life.


    A planet is so big that there's not much damage we can do to damage ours. But we can do great damage climate and life on our planets surface.

    Now try rewriting it in your own words. And be sure to capitalize Earth.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

  8. #18
    alpacinoutd is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    2,569

    Re: cause damge to the environment

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    Here's one possiblity:

    Of all human activity, greenhouse gas emission causes the greatest damage to climate and life.


    A planet is so big that there's not much damage we can do to damage ours. But we can do great damage climate and life on our planets surface.

    Now try rewriting it in your own words. And be sure to capitalize Earth.
    Does this work?

    We cause the biggest damage to the environment by the emission of greenhouse gases.

    I want to use "we" in it.

  9. #19
    tree123 is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    387

    Re: cause damge to the environment

    Quote Originally Posted by alpacinoutd View Post
    Does this work?

    We cause the biggest damage to the environment by the emission of greenhouse gases.

    I want to use "we" in it.
    (Neither a teacher nor a native speaker)

    Hello alpacinoutd

    In Post 3, jutfrank has advised 'don't say big damage. That word combination doesn't work'.
    I've read Charlie Bernstein has offered a replacement of 'great damage' for 'big damage'.


    EDIT: alpacinoutd, Sorry, please ignore the words above. After reading tedmc's reply in Post 20, I am not sure I understood jutfrank's comment correctly, so I've striked them.


    Hi jutfrank, or someone else,

    Can I say 'severe damage', 'little damage' ? Do these combinations work?

    If 'little damage' doesn't work either, what adjective should I use when I try to say the damage is not great.


    Last edited by tree123; 20-Sep-2020 at 09:09.

  10. #20
    tedmc is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,393

    Re: cause damge to the environment

    Quote Originally Posted by tree123 View Post
    (Neither a teacher nor a native speaker)

    Hello alpacinoutd

    In Post 3, jutfrank has advised 'don't say big damage. That word combination doesn't work'.
    I've read Charlie Bernstein has offered a replacement of 'great damage' for 'big damage'.


    Hi jutfrank, or someone else,

    Can I say 'severe damage', 'little damage' ? Do these combinations work?

    If 'little damage' doesn't work either, what adjective should I use when I try to say the damage is not great.


    There is nothing wrong with using big damage or biggest damage.
    Neither do I see anything wrong with little damage. The alternatives are minor/slight/light/inconsequential/negligible damage.
    Severe damage is also common, so are major/heavy/massive/serious/colossal/catastrophic damage.
    I am not a teacher or a native speaker.

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •