Results 1 to 10 of 21

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Key Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Sep 2019
    • Posts: 1,951
    #1

    cause damge to the environment

    Hello.

    Is it correct to say we "cause damage to" our planet?

    Is this sentence correct and natural?

    The emission of greenhouse gases in the biggest damage we cause to planet earth.

  2. Charlie Bernstein's Avatar
    VIP Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2009
    • Posts: 7,568
    #2

    Re: cause damge to the environment

    Quote Originally Posted by alpacinoutd View Post
    Hello.

    Is it correct to say we "cause damage to" our planet?

    Yes, but just saying "damage" is more natural.


    Is this sentence correct and natural?

    The emission of greenhouse gases in the biggest damage we cause to planet Earth.

    Yes.
    When you're talking about dirt, use earth. When it's our planet's name, capitalize it, just like Mars, Venus, and so on.
    Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 15-Sep-2020 at 17:06.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

  3. jutfrank's Avatar
    VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Mar 2014
    • Posts: 12,841
    #3

    Re: cause damge to the environment

    I have to disagree with Charlie Bernstein. Your sentence is awful.

    For a start, you've misspelled is.

    Second, don't say big damage. That word combination doesn't work.

  4. Key Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Sep 2019
    • Posts: 1,951
    #4

    Re: cause damge to the environment

    Thanks to Charlie and Jutfrank both. I would really appreciate it if you would also share your knowledge in the Writing and Editing section as I feel like you don't visit that area of the forum as much as you visit the Ask a Teacher section.

  5. emsr2d2's Avatar
    Moderator
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 57,581
    #5

    Re: cause damge to the environment

    Quote Originally Posted by alpacinoutd View Post
    Thanks to Charlie and Jutfrank both. I would really appreciate it if you would also share your knowledge in the Writing and Editing section as I feel like you don't visit that area of the forum as much as you visit the Ask a Teacher section.
    We don't visit it as often. That's mainly because it takes a lot longer to deal with posts in that section and, as volunteers, we have to choose carefully where to spend our precious time. If I have 15 minutes to spare and I can choose between answering 10 questions in Ask A Teacher or dealing with just one piece of text in Editing and Writing Topics, I will pick the former.
    But people do visit that section. You just have to be more patient with your posts there.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  6. Key Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Sep 2019
    • Posts: 1,951
    #6

    Re: cause damge to the environment

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    We don't visit it as often. That's mainly because it takes a lot longer to deal with posts in that section and, as volunteers, we have to choose carefully where to spend our precious time. If I have 15 minutes to spare and I can choose between answering 10 questions in Ask A Teacher or dealing with just one piece of text in Editing and Writing Topics, I will pick the former.
    But people do visit that section. You just have to be more patient with your posts there.
    I totally understand. Each and every one of your answers is more valuable to me than you can imagine. Difficult though it may be, I will have to learn to be more patient to get answers.

  7. Charlie Bernstein's Avatar
    VIP Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2009
    • Posts: 7,568
    #7

    Re: cause damge to the environment

    Quote Originally Posted by alpacinoutd View Post
    Thanks to Charlie and Jutfrank both. I would really appreciate it if you would also share your knowledge in the Writing and Editing section as I feel like you don't visit that area of the forum as much as you visit the Ask a Teacher section.
    I do go there.

    Students don't use the Literature and Slang sections as much as they used. I miss that.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

  8. Charlie Bernstein's Avatar
    VIP Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2009
    • Posts: 7,568
    #8

    Re: cause damge to the environment

    Quote Originally Posted by jutfrank View Post
    I have to disagree with Charlie Bernstein. Your sentence is awful.

    For a start, you've misspelled is.

    Second, don't say big damage. That word combination doesn't work.
    Yes, I agree. I just didn't want to get picky. I thought about a few substitutes for bigger but decided it was understandable.

    You're right, a full reworking would make it more natural.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

  9. Key Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Sep 2019
    • Posts: 1,951
    #9

    Re: cause damge to the environment

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    You're right, a full reworking would make it more natural.
    What should I do?

  10. Key Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Sep 2019
    • Posts: 1,951
    #10

    Re: cause damge to the environment

    Maybe it's best that this thread be moved to the Writing and Editing section as now the sentence needs to be re-written.
    I think Rover will want to run me over with a Range Rover!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •