Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I would appreciate others to let me know what they think about these two:

1. John arrived home, his eyes hollow and rimmed in black. He crashed on the bed to get the one hundred hours of sleep he needed but he had no idea what the night had in store for him. He kept slipping into unconsciousness only to bounce out again, restless and helpless. It didn't take long to realize he was in for a rough, long night.

2. John lay in bed. He was going back and forth in that ether between sleep and wakefulness, between real and unreal. He could hear his children but he could not touch them.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would appreciate it if people would let me know what they think about these two:

1. John arrived home, his eyes hollow and rimmed in black. He got in bed to get the one hundred hours of sleep he needed, but he had no idea what the night had in store for him. He kept slipping into unconsciousness only to bounce out again, restless and helpless. It didn't take long for him to realize that he was in for a rough, long night.

2. John lay in bed. He was going back and forth in that ether between sleep and wakefulness, between real and unreal. He could hear his children but he could not touch them.

I would say:

between the resl and the unreal

Or:

between reality and unreality.

He's in the twilight zone.
:)

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks Tarheel.

Now let's see what others think about these two:

1. John arrived home, his eyes hollow and rimmed in black. He got in bed to get the one hundred hours of sleep he needed, but he had no idea what the night had in store for him. He kept slipping into unconsciousness only to bounce out again, restless and helpless. It didn't take long for him to realize that he was in for a rough, long night.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks Tarheel.

Now let's see what others think about these two:

1. John arrived home, his eyes hollow and rimmed in black. He got in bed to get the [STRIKE]one[/STRIKE] hundred hours of sleep he needed, but he had no idea what the night had in store for him. He kept slipping into unconsciousness only to bounce out again, restless and helpless. It didn't take long for him to realize that he was in for a long, rough night.

2. John lay in bed. He was going back and forth in that ether between sleep and wakefulness, between real and unreal. He could hear his children, but he could not touch them.
They're good.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Can you guess where Charlie and I differ?
:)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would appreciate [STRIKE]others to[/STRIKE] it if you would let me know what [STRIKE]they[/STRIKE] you think about these two:

1. John arrived home, his eyes hollow and rimmed in black. He crashed [down] onto the bed to get the [STRIKE]one hundred[/STRIKE] hundred/100 hours of sleep he needed but he had no idea what the night had in store for him. He kept slipping into [STRIKE]unconsciousness[/STRIKE] a deep sleep, only to [STRIKE]bounce out[/STRIKE] suddenly wake up again, restless and helpless. It didn't take long for him to realize he was in for a long, rough [STRIKE], long[/STRIKE] night.

See above.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Status