Do not follow the people who make you feel not good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

doletotodole

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Taken from 2020 English exam paper for University Admission in China. This exam is taken by more than 6 million students, and is notorious for its difficulty, not 2020 though due to the Covid-19.

Below is a gap to fill before a paragraph.

_____________. Do not follow the people who make you feel not-good-enough. Why do you follow them? Are you hoping that eventually you will feel empowered because your life is better than theirs? Know that your life is your own, you are the only you in this world.

I feel confused about the meaning of the phrase "not-good-enough", who does this phrase refer to? The people you follow, or you?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Taken from 2020 English exam paper for University Admission in China. This exam is taken by more than 6 million students, and is notorious for its difficulty, not 2020 though due to the Covid-19.

Below is a gap to fill before a paragraph.

Do not follow the people who make you feel that you are not-good-enough. Why do you follow them? Are you hoping that eventually you will feel empowered because your life is better than theirs? Know that your life is your own, you are the only you in this world.

I feel confused about the meaning of the phrase "not-good-enough", who does this phrase refer to? The people you follow, or you?

What does "you are not good enough" mean to you?

Most of that makes no sense to me.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This passage is taken from a 2020 English exam paper for university admission in China. This exam is taken by more than six million students [no comma] and is notorious for its difficulty. It won't be taken by that many students in 2020, though, due to [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] Covid-19. . . .
It's hard to believe that's a test question. The text makes very little sense.

And the "gap," as you call it, makes no sense. You could put anything in it.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The gap certainly makes no sense. You could fill it with anything from "Hello, everyone" to "I have some amazing advice, given to me forty years ago by my ninety-eight-year-old grandfather".
Were there no options given - four choices of things that might fit, for example?

If you're an English teacher, I'm not sure why you can't understand the construction used. Would you understand the following sentences?

Don't talk to people who make you feel bad.
Don't spend time with people who make you feel inferior.

doletotodole

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The reason I feel confused is because the official key to this gap is "Stop comparing yourself with others."

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
The reason I feel confused is because the official key to this gap is "Stop comparing yourself with others."

What do you mean by the official key? Do you mean the official answer to the question?
The question is basically asking to "fill in the gap" with no clues whatsoever. It is like expecting candidates to read the examiner's mind, which is not fair. Now I understand how difficult it is to learn English in China.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

OK, setting aside the fact that it's completely ridiculous to expect students to come up with that opening sentence without any clues, let's go back to your original question. Please have another look at post #4 and tell me if you understand my two example sentences.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The reason I feel confused is because the official key to this gap is "Stop comparing yourself to others."

You might have noticed that I totally ignored the gap. (Well, "ignored" isn't the right word. I removed it.)

You can't tell somebody to stop doing something unless you know they've been doing it. So I would say:

Don't compare yourself to others.

But of course I had no way of knowing that was supposed to be in the gap.

::-|

doletotodole

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Yes, I do understand the two examples.
That is why I am confused.

Based on the context, the logic would be after a period of time when my life becomes better than theirs, i would feel empowered, in this case, the original text I feel should be written as "Are you hoping that eventually you will feel empowered WHEN YOUR LIFE BECOMES BETTER THAN THEIRS? INSTEAD OF because your life is better than theirs?"

And, if the subject of not good enough is they, then the whole paragraph would make more sense.

The problem with the original logic is, how can someone feel empowered by virtue of a better life and at the same time he/she is made to feel not good enough.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Now you are confusing me.

You are, in my opinion, overthinking this one.

I suggest that you don't waste any more time on it.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Based on the context, the logic would be after a period of time when my life becomes better than theirs, i would feel empowered, in this case, the original text I feel should be written as "Are you hoping that eventually you will feel empowered WHEN YOUR LIFE BECOMES BETTER THAN THEIRS? INSTEAD OF because your life is better than theirs?"

And, if the subject of not good enough is they, then the whole paragraph would make more sense.

Oof! This is terribly written, doletotodole. Let me correct it for you:

Based on the context, the logic would be: after a period of time when my life becomes better than theirs, I would feel empowered. In this case, I feel the original text should be written as "Are you hoping that eventually you will feel empowered when your life becomes better than theirs?" instead of " ... because your life is better than theirs?".

And, if the subject of "not-good-enough" is "they", then the whole paragraph would make more sense.

The problem with the original logic is, how can someone feel empowered by virtue of a better life and at the same time he/she is made to feel not good enough.

The idea is that it is not at the same time. The idea is that one hopes to feel empowered at a future point in time.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The message is that you shouldn't let other people tell you that you're not good enough. (That you can't achieve what you want to achieve.)

Those people don't know what you are capable of, and they don't have your best interests at heart. So don't let them tell you what to do. And don't let them discourage you from doing what you want to do. (Yes, you might make mistakes, but you will learn from those mistakes.)

Status
Not open for further replies.