• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Great Britain

Do/give me a favour

So I know that "do me a favour" is the correct form but, I live in East Anglia for a while now and I heard a lot of people, natives and non-natives, using "do/give me a favour" interchangeably, as in "would you do something for me?"
    I didn't think much of it and would also use them interchangeably (I still do), but then some time ago I googled it and it turns out the one with "give" is incorrect? Is that really so?
    I mean that's what native english speakers say, at least where I live, but there is literally no information about this phrase on the internet other than "give is never correct". Oh really? Why do native speakers say it then?
    I checked it on Ngram and it clearly shows that the "give" one is almost never used, but then it mainly considers books and some things on the internet, and I can say from my experience that the give one is indeed in regular use.
    I really wouldn't like to believe Ngram just yet and instead ask you if you also heard people use "give me a favour", or have you ever used it yourselves? And if you have an idea, why do you think it is considered to be plain incorrect by so many people? Is it really a regional phrase, or is it just so much less popular?
    Please answer if you know or have an idea.

2. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

Re: Do/give me a favour

I am surprised you say "give" is used with "favour" by native speakers where you are from because I have only heard of "do me a favour".
    I am not a teacher or a native speaker.

VIP Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Madness1 View Post
    So I know that "Do me a favour" is the correct form, but I have lived in East Anglia for a while now, and I heard a lot of people, natives and non-natives, using "do/give me a favour" interchangeably, as in "would you do something for me?"

I didn't think much of it and would also use them interchangeably (I still do), but then some time ago I Googled it, and it turns out the one with "give" is incorrect. Is that really so?

I've never heard "Give me a favor." It sounds like it's a local expression. It's fine to use it in East Anglia for casual conversation, but don't use it elsewhere.

I mean that's what native English speakers say, at least where I live, but there is literally no information about this phrase on the internet other than "Give is never correct". Oh, really? Why do native speakers say it then?

They do because they do.

I checked it on Ngram and it clearly shows that the "give" one is almost never used, but then it mainly considers books and some things on the internet, and I can say from my experience that the give one is indeed in regular use.

I really wouldn't like to believe Ngram just yet and instead ask you if you also heard people use "give me a favour", or have you ever used it yourselves?

No and no.

And if you have an idea, why do you think it is considered to be plain incorrect by so many people?

Because it's plain incorrect — except in East Anglia.

Is it really a regional phrase,

Yes.

or is it just so much less popular?

No.

Please answer if you know or have an idea.

I just did.
    In this context, so means therefore. Don't begin simple statements with So.

Separate paragraphs with spaces or indents.

(Cross-post.)
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

The next time you hear it from a native East Anglian, ask them whether they consider it dialectal.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

5. Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

I haven't lived in East Anglia, but in the rest of the UK I have only heard do.

VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Maybe they want to be different.
    Not a professional teacher

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

I've never heard this in my life. I've also asked a friend who grew up in Norwich, and he's not familiar with it, either.

Which part of East Anglia are you in, Madness1?

8. Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

I asked a friend who lives in Cambridge and she hasn't come across it.